New Owner of 2003 yukon denali, with 307000 kms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2003LQ4Denali

2003LQ4Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I heard of that, do you think this would cause my starter to continue trying to start once off and key is out, or is it just the solenoid starting to stick and and starter should be replaced? one of my next upgrades is the ground wiring, I keep seeing stuff about the big 3 or sometimes the big 4, I joined this forum to help educate myself about all the possible upgrades or even stuff that could be replaced while I'm about to replace other stuff, as I did my ball joints and tierods I saw that there could've been other parts replaced while I was there haha

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do a search of the threads here about the Big 3. Lots of them and read thru them. The ground problems can cause so many things. Some of the stories here make you think aliens have taken over your rig. The starter still trying to engage with key off and out may be a starter relay in the fuse box under the hood. The cover will identify the location and you can see if there is another relay that is a match and swap it out and see if that fixes the problem. The starter is getting power feed somewhere for that to happen, with key off and out. If the starter drive is sticking that will damage it and will shorten the life of the starter. I would do the obvious known problems/weak spots first of the grounds and see what happens.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that plug hanging out of the grill. You must live somewhere very cold. If in the rust belt, then all grounds are essential to check and reseat.

As for the code for the 1-2 shift solenoid. They fail occasionally, so it could be that easy and they are not expensive. I want to say that you can even change that solenoid without removing the valve body, but someone will correct me if that's not true.

If you are refreshing it anyway, you should be doing transmission fluid, filter and possibly something like the TransGo shift kit for the valve body. That will replace old springs and improve shifting.

I would inspect the separator plate as well while in there, these are known for the check balls punching their way through the plate. On mine it was the check ball for 1-2 upshift was almost pushed through causing erratic shifting.

OP
OP
2003LQ4Denali

2003LQ4Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do a search of the threads here about the Big 3. Lots of them and read thru them. The ground problems can cause so many things. Some of the stories here make you think aliens have taken over your rig. The starter still trying to engage with key off and out may be a starter relay in the fuse box under the hood. The cover will identify the location and you can see if there is another relay that is a match and swap it out and see if that fixes the problem. The starter is getting power feed somewhere for that to happen, with key off and out. If the starter drive is sticking that will damage it and will shorten the life of the starter. I would do the obvious known problems/weak spots first of the grounds and see what happens.
Yes it happens sometimes when the vehicle is started then seems like everything is out of wack turn it off and the starter is still trying to start if the key is left in on "on" it has a chance of starting itself which it has just a couple of times but I will study the big 3 threads for sure

Okay this evening my neighbour said he was walking his dog this morning and it was trying to start but I woke up late and did not even go outside yet to do anything with the yukon around the time he said and also mention the previous owner was pulling the starter fuse alot to prevent use of vehicle
I saw that plug hanging out of the grill. You must live somewhere very cold. If in the rust belt, then all grounds are essential to check and reseat.

As for the code for the 1-2 shift solenoid. They fail occasionally, so it could be that easy and they are not expensive. I want to say that you can even change that solenoid without removing the valve body, but someone will correct me if that's not true.

If you are refreshing it anyway, you should be doing transmission fluid, filter and possibly something like the TransGo shift kit for the valve body. That will replace old springs and improve shifting.

I would inspect the separator plate as well while in there, these are known for the check balls punching their way through the plate. On mine it was the check ball for 1-2 upshift was almost pushed through causing erratic shifting.
Yes I live in Canada haha very cold, but I bought a rebuilt 4l65e with a corvette servo, accumulator work, hardened sunshell, a rebuilt torque converter so since my engine light wasn't working I didn't know my transmission was sending a code till I took it in for an alignment and asked some questions.

I contacted the person I bought the transmission from he is very sure it's not his transmission that is causing the problems but I'm hoping it's only the solenoid or the harness if he didn't put a brand new one in, I would expect what you suggested would be the case if the vehicle had it's original transmission, the original was toast from previous owner

OP
OP
2003LQ4Denali

2003LQ4Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could these areas be causing problems, they look pretty rough

Attachments

• 20211106_141835.jpg
    20211106_141835.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211106_142522.jpg
    20211106_142522.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211106_142641.jpg
    20211106_142641.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211106_142506.jpg
    20211106_142506.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 4

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you got a warranty from the transmission person. Going that deep into a transmissions rebuild, you would think valve body solenoids would have been replaced along with all the other springs, o-rings, seals.

"he is very sure it's not his transmission that is causing the problems",
Said every mechanic ever. No matter what he said the transmission is throwing codes and not shifting, that's a huge problem.

OP
OP
2003LQ4Denali

2003LQ4Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He is going to help me resolve the issue, he is sending me a solenoid first so I don't have to pull the transmission already, I'm just hoping he thought the solenoid was good enough but then stopped working, he said another transmission he sent for someone's Hummer had an electrical problem at the ignition and the transmission wasn't getting enough power and it went into limp mode and they fried it twice until they found that out but my shop said I have 2nd and 3rd gear, my temperatures were normal when i was driving around, just when I come to stops I'm starting in 2nd and my electrical problem seems to have my yukon trying to start itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout