New Owner - 2013 Yukon XL Denali-Very High Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats darn clean. I've never had a car without rust.

Be careful when thinking about replacing trans fluids. New detergents can dislodge otherwise stable crap and block passages etc. I've got a 160k miles on unknown trans fluid change cycle. I'm not touching it until I rebuild it.
Bare metal does not even rust here soo sooo dry to the point the bare metal ends up galvanizing instead probably from all that oil that gets picked up from when it does rains (oil water coating ) aka there is Zinc in the oil..

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking ride. I have two Denalis - one is an '07 with 204K and the other is a '12 with 105K. When I bought the '07 it had 197K and I noticed some cupping wear on the inside edges of both front tires and it's hard to describe but it just felt well-used from behind the wheel. I found very very slight play in the ball joints and no play in the wheel bearings, but the stabilizer bar bushings and dog bones were shot.

I ended up re-doing the whole front suspension with new Moog parts (control arms with ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, dog bones, brake pads/rotors), minus the stabilitrak shocks as they'd already been replaced by the previous owner. I did the work myself on a weekend, and it totally transformed the truck. It rides and handles like a brand new one now. So much so that my '12 with half the mileage feels old and loose/saggy by comparison. Total parts cost was around $650. Well worth the time to do it if you have the tools, time and skills.

Also, check the motor mounts. If the truck clunks ******* a full-throttle downshift, it's time. PITA to do them but again well-worth the investment.

Cheers,
Dave

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice ride.
Hello all,

I am new here and the new owner of this 2013 Yukon XL Denali with 250k miles.

I was (and still am) very skeptical on the mileage, but after putting a hundred or so miles of test driving on I decided to pull the trigger. Very stable at 75mph. Oil pressure looks good.

I went back and forth between buying one with 125k miles for $6-10k more, but the ones I looked at were in way worse shape rust wise. While the underside may not look completely perfect, for Ohio its as good as we get.

It has its fair share of small, $20-80 issues that I will replace over time.

It was a one owner vehicle. I received all the records that carfax recorded, which seems to be everything. I have every oil change on there. While I wish some were closer together mileage wise, I am happy to have the records.

Hopefully it is a fairly reliable vehicle. I obviously am aware that the transmission or something could fail at any time, but it seems to shift well. The last flush was 120k miles ago, I am on the fence of doing a flush or just dropping the pan and replacing.

Power Steering fluid looks a little rough, I plan to change that. I know a pump could be necessary.

We will see how things go. My hope is to get 2-3 years and about 50k miles out of it before I consider shipping it down south for a whole new chassis/duramax/allison.

View attachment 237357 View attachment 237358 View attachment 237359 View attachment 237360
At 250k hopefully a lot of the common replacement parts have already been swapped out (front suspension components etc) and you will not be subjected to a deferred maintenance situation where everything self destructs at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan