New Owner - 2013 Yukon XL Denali-Very High Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks! 7500 hours.

Happy New Year! No major repairs recorded. Just sway bar links at 115k.

I think you are correct, when i shake the front left wheel I can feel some play. I am assuming it is a ball joint. I am going to look into that.

Depending on how you are "shaking it" it could have a ball joint problem, hub problem, tie rod end....etc. Also, like Wes said, fluid changes so they are all fresh and you know the condition. If your records show recent fluid changes then follow that, depending on what the mileage was at the time.

OP
OP
shank0668

shank0668

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending on how you are "shaking it" it could have a ball joint problem, hub problem, tie rod end....etc. Also, like Wes said, fluid changes so they are all fresh and you know the condition. If your records show recent fluid changes then follow that, depending on what the mileage was at the time.

Yes, I don’t get any up and down play, left and right I do. Once i get someone to help push and pull on the wheel I’ll be able to pinpoint. Im almost sure it’s a tie rod end now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Best way to check a ball joint is to use a floor jack and lift as close to the lower ball joint as possible a the lower control arm. Lift tire about 1-2 inches off ground and then put a long pry bar under the tire at 6 o'clock. Lift up and release the pry bar while feeling for play and also looking for up and down play at the ball joints. You can also then grab the tire at 3 & 9 and shake for play in steering linkages. You can also grab at 12 & 6 and check for bearing play.

fastscirocco

Reaction score
it takes about 1 gallon of power steering fluid to get it all freshened up, jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground, pump out what you can then fill it with fresh, start it up and rotate the wheels fully a few times, shut it off pump out what you can re-fill with fresh, repeat until you have gone thru 1 gallon of fresh fluid and you should be good to go.

In this procedure to replace the power steering fluid, when you say pump out what you can - how would you "pump out" the fluid?

Thanks!

OP
OP
shank0668

shank0668

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In this procedure to replace the power steering fluid, when you say pump out what you can - how would you "pump out" the fluid?

Thanks!

I think the idea is to suck it out of the reservoir, with a pump or turkey baster, something like that.

Welcome to the forum from Arizona! First things first, get the AFM/DoD deactivated!!!
What’s the best way to do this? I’ve looked into it some.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
you can buy a small manual transfer pump at most autoparts store for less then $20.00 i bought one from autozone it has rubber hose's on each end, so I inserted one end into the power steering reservoir and the other end into a small bucket, pumped out all I could, re-filled the reservoir with fresh fluid, started it up, turned the wheels lock to lock several times, shut it off, pumped it all out again, filled it with fresh again, repeated until I had gone thru 1 gallon, then it looks like new fluid again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie