New OEM O2 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that they're all the same except with the OEM the upstream has a longer wire so it can reach the connector. I bet GM saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars by using less wire on those downstream O2 units.

I'd think they would save more money by eliminating a second style of O2 sensor -- more quantities of one style and only one to document, stock, market, sell, etc. But whadda I know?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd think they would save more money by eliminating a second style of O2 sensor -- more quantities of one style and only one to document, stock, market, sell, etc. But whadda I know?

20 years ago I went to some training for a design and we were to bring an actual design problem we were trying to solve. One gal was from GM and her problem was to find a way to take 2 cents out of some common component like a muffler hanger or something. I asked how it was cost effective to spend the time to save that little of an amount and she said the volume that they use them, it would end up saving almost $500K in a just a year.

This is also why some building codes are starting to require outlets to be 6ft apart instead of 8ft because lamp makers were making the cords shorter to save money.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
20 years ago I went to some training for a design and we were to bring an actual design problem we were trying to solve. One gal was from GM and her problem was to find a way to take 2 cents out of some common component like a muffler hanger or something. I asked how it was cost effective to spend the time to save that little of an amount and she said the volume that they use them, it would end up saving almost $500K in a just a year.

This is also why some building codes are starting to require outlets to be 6ft apart instead of 8ft because lamp makers were making the cords shorter to save money.

Around here (Chicago IBEW mecca), building codes require (and have for decades) receptacles every 12 feet, as to accommodate a 6' lamp cord in either direction.

I have never heard of 8 or 6'. Unless it's a countertop. Then it's 4' (and within 2' of the end), as most appliance cords are 3'.