New motor core fee?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a new 5.3 liter motor for my 2010 GMC Yukon XL with 157,000 miles. The dealership says that my old motor needs to be returned to GM or the dealership will be charged a $3,500 core fee by GM. Is this legit or BS? They are quoting me $10,000 to remove and replace the motor with a 3 year manufacturer warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The Jasper engine would be less with just as good a warranty and their R&R packages are quite complete. Depending on the shop, the labor is likely in the $2200 to $2800 range and then you have all the fluids and haz-mat fees and and and. Still, $10k is too much IMO and Jasper engines can be warrantied all over the US, just like a GM engine. You can even pre order the engine customized if you want.

By the way, welcome to the forum and why do you need a new engine at 157k miles?

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a new 5.3 liter motor for my 2010 GMC Yukon XL with 157,000 miles. The dealership says that my old motor needs to be returned to GM or the dealership will be charged a $3,500 core fee by GM. Is this legit or BS? They are quoting me $10,000 to remove and replace the motor with a 3 year manufacturer warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm guessing that is a nicely tricked out big block 8.1L ? with 500-600HP??

even the 6.0L for a hybrid is 6K total..

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

Thanks
What's wrong with the current engine? I have seen these engines go pass 300k miles with no major issues.

10k is definitely to much, have an indy shop price the R&R and compare

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.