Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. Been reading posts on this forum for a few months. I own a 1999 Tahoe, old body style with a 5.7 backed by a 4L60E.
I have been looking for information in regards to upgrading the vehicle. I need it to tow a 30ft camper trailer that weighs up to 10,000 lbs. The Tahoe is in great shape except for a small rear main seal leak. I'm willing to spend a few grand to upgrade, but I'm thinking I may have to purchase a different vehicle.
Any Ideas?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

A lot of knowledge on a variety of topics here, including the towing capabilities of these vehicles. That being said, I think you might be pushing the limits trying to pull a 30ft camper that weighs 10,000 lbs with a Tahoe.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

That size/weight of trailer does seem to be a bit much for the Tahoe. But, folks much more knowledgeable than me on this topic will chime in with their thoughts and perspectives.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. Been reading posts on this forum for a few months. I own a 1999 Tahoe, old body style with a 5.7 backed by a 4L60E.
I have been looking for information in regards to upgrading the vehicle. I need it to tow a 30ft camper trailer that weighs up to 10,000 lbs. The Tahoe is in great shape except for a small rear main seal leak. I'm willing to spend a few grand to upgrade, but I'm thinking I may have to purchase a different vehicle.
Any Ideas?

Welcome Steve. Can the Tahoe do it? Yeah, for a little while but she's already 21 years old. Factory tow rating is probably 7K or less, right?

I think the only GM SUV rated to tow that much was the old 8.1 Suburbans with 4.10 gears.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Steve!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman