New member, same story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtPreston

Reaction score
Okay, if you read my intro you will find I just purchased a '94 Yukon and the first thing I tried to fix was the poor headlights (a month ago) so I bought some HID/Xenon upgrades from Headlight Experts (btw, I don't recommend their customer support). Had to remove the grill to install the ballasts but no problem there - the LB was pretty good but the HB was like a halo so I swapped the HB for an LED - same effect.

Then I decided to join the TYF and saw the post by "Soulsea" back in Oct. 2012 - did a further search and found that headlight retrofits are as common as water leaks in the passenger compartment (yes, I have one too) on these trucks. Long story short, I've read most of the posts on headlights, and their good and bad points, but what I haven't been able to discern is a final retrofit or product I can pursue for my '94.

I don't want to ask the "What's the best motor oil to use?" type of question but I do need some direction on a suitable headlight replacement that doesn't require major modifications. I'm getting the impression there isn't a PnP application that works in the halogen reflector housing? Any help is appreciated.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to Hella halogens, Rewired for all 4 lights on Hi Beam, Used cheap aftermarket reflector housings that I can't remember the name of now.Eagle Eye? Definately not best lights I've ever had, but work well enough to night drive. Huge low beam improvement good to about 60. Hi beams now DRLs.Long Lasting. Need to add driving lights on Bumper. It's on list. Wish there was still (only)glass bulb reflectors.

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
I switched to Hella halogens, Rewired for all 4 lights on Hi Beam, Used cheap aftermarket reflector housings that I can't remember the name of now.Eagle Eye? Definately not best lights I've ever had, but work well enough to night drive. Huge low beam improvement good to about 60. Hi beams now DRLs.Long Lasting. Need to add driving lights on Bumper. It's on list. Wish there was still (only)glass bulb reflectors.

Thanks, the option of wiring all four lights together on Hi Beam seemed like a good option when I saw my rig come on - Lo is good (HID/Xenon) but the Hi was just a "halo" due to the poor reflectors. I keep thinking I will need to go to some type of projection lens for the Hi beams to get any real benefit - driving Texas roads at night is dicey with all the deer moving in the fall (rut season).

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
Thanks, the option of wiring all four lights together on Hi Beam seemed like a good option when I saw my rig come on - Lo is good (HID/Xenon) but the Hi was just a "halo" due to the poor reflectors. I keep thinking I will need to go to some type of projection lens for the Hi beams to get any real benefit - driving Texas roads at night is dicey with all the deer moving in the fall (rut season).

Just checking to see if there are any other suggestions on a possible fix for these 26 year old headlights? I can probably live with the lo beams but the hi beams need some help - is there a projector lens that will work? Any help would be appreciated.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience with headlight "experts." Piss poor quality products.
Hid don't do well in normal halogen housings.
You could maybe get a projector housing.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
I had the same experience with headlight "experts." Piss poor quality products.
Hid don't do well in normal halogen housings.
You could maybe get a projector housing.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Thanks Jasper, that's what I am considering but I was hoping to get a recommendation from some of you folks that have been down this road and could give me a lead or a link.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats Why Driving lights are on the list for front bumper. The Hellas fit without blocking radiator, just IB of running lights.

iCajun

Reaction score
For an easy and cheap upgrade I recommend swapping in 88-90 quad headlights, much better beam pattern. Relays and heavy gauge wire is a plus. I didn't find that burning all 4 on Hi Beam was a real improvement.

OP
OP
S

SgtPreston

Reaction score
For an easy and cheap upgrade I recommend swapping in 88-90 quad headlights, much better beam pattern. Relays and heavy gauge wire is a plus. I didn't find that burning all 4 on Hi Beam was a real improvement.

Thanks Alan, I got your response after I ordered some projector housings - should be delivered Monday so we can try to see if there is an improvement. Here is what I ordered:

GMC Yukon 1994-1998, Chrome LED Halo Euro Headlights (LH-C1088H-KS) by Spec-D®, 1 Pair. Chrome housing, clear lens. Bulbs: 9006 low beam (included), 9005 high beam (included).

Hopefully this will give me enough light for night driving - anyone else used these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts