New Lifter Club Member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

killjoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Dealer confirmed it is the lifter issue and is replacing all 16 under the TSB/Warranty. Hopefully picking up a loaner tomorrow as they said ETA is 2-3 weeks. Apparently there's more club members at my dealer who got in line before me.

Looks like there is also an active recall related to the main infotainment screen; needs a software flash. So I guess this visit is a 2-fer.

For the members who've had this done, did the dealer do a complimentary oil change after replacing the lifters? I'm a bit concerned that parts of the failed lifter(s) may have sheered off and circulated back into the engine oil? Wondering what that plan is, and of course, I literally just changed the oil a couple hundred miles ago.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
They used TSB is PIP5776F and only did the right bank
I heard this week that GM is now replacing the lifters on both sides. Two weeks ago GM got hit with a multimillion lawsuit due to the lifter problem. You may wanna search that lawsuit and join the bandwagon.

Last edited:

Reddog1473

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well add me to the Lifter problem club. I was reading this the other day saying I am lucky and bam driving my 2021 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 8,500 miles and a couple of sputters brought on a trip to the dealership. Anyone have the GMC contact info to complain about this. A google search brought up some class action lawsuit stuff but I haven't gone through it yet. Sounds like GM possibly knowingly produced vehicles with defective parts. These are the type of stories the news stations and papers like to investigate and talk about :)

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Dealer confirmed it is the lifter issue and is replacing all 16 under the TSB/Warranty. Hopefully picking up a loaner tomorrow as they said ETA is 2-3 weeks. Apparently there's more club members at my dealer who got in line before me.

Looks like there is also an active recall related to the main infotainment screen; needs a software flash. So I guess this visit is a 2-fer.

For the members who've had this done, did the dealer do a complimentary oil change after replacing the lifters? I'm a bit concerned that parts of the failed lifter(s) may have sheered off and circulated back into the engine oil? Wondering what that plan is, and of course, I literally just changed the oil a couple hundred miles ago.

Yes, the dealer does an oil change as part of this repair. We’ll at least they did with my Yukon Denali with lifter failure at 12,995 miles. They only replaced one bank and I fought like you wouldn’t believe to GMC Corporate to step in and either offer the other bank to be replaced or an extended powertrain warranty. They told me to get F’ed and “graciously gifted me” 200k My GM Rewards points for my troubles.

Here’s their phone number, should you too like to be told to “pound sand and here are some rewards points:”

866-467-9700

killjoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Dealer called me this morning saying my truck was ready for pickup. They originally told me to expect 2-3 weeks. They got it back to me in 5 business days from the point of me towing it and dropping it there for service. They were apparently expecting a longer delay on backordered parts and I guess I got lucky.

Rough math based on the write up was this was a $2k repair. They pulled both heads off the engine, replaced all 16 lifters, all the guides (4), 1 push rod, the spark plug on the cylinder that was misfiring, new bolts for everything, etc. Adds up to about $900 in parts, and another $1200 in labor (10 hours). Mechanic noted in the diagnosis it that it scanned with a P0300 code, was misfiring on cylinder #7, ticking noises from both sides of the engine, and found multiple failed AFM lifters.

Interestingly, an oil filter was on the bill of material... but no oil. Oil life indicator wasn't reset either. Looking under the truck, they did replace the filter... as I had a Wix XP on there at drop off, and it came back with a Delco. So, spent the last hour doing an oil change in the driveway (20* out at the moment) just for peace of mind. From looking at the oil, confirmed they did not do an oil change at the dealer. FYI for others who might care. The engine does sound different now.. quieter/smoother... noticeable.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Dealer called me this morning saying my truck was ready for pickup. They originally told me to expect 2-3 weeks. They got it back to me in 5 business days from the point of me towing it and dropping it there for service. They were apparently expecting a longer delay on backordered parts and I guess I got lucky.

Rough math based on the write up was this was a $2k repair. They pulled both heads off the engine, replaced all 16 lifters, all the guides (4), 1 push rod, the spark plug on the cylinder that was misfiring, new bolts for everything, etc. Adds up to about $900 in parts, and another $1200 in labor (10 hours). Mechanic noted in the diagnosis it that it scanned with a P0300 code, was misfiring on cylinder #7, ticking noises from both sides of the engine, and found multiple failed AFM lifters.

Interestingly, an oil filter was on the bill of material... but no oil. Oil life indicator wasn't reset either. Looking under the truck, they did replace the filter... as I had a Wix XP on there at drop off, and it came back with a Delco. So, spent the last hour doing an oil change in the driveway (20* out at the moment) just for peace of mind. From looking at the oil, confirmed they did not do an oil change at the dealer. FYI for others who might care. The engine does sound different now.. quieter/smoother... noticeable.
Glad to hear you are back on the road!

OP
OP
Shrubs2K2

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mailed a 3 page letter and my 2 page detail log to
Stephen Carlisle, Executive VP and President, North America. I'm confident it will fall on deaf ears but one can never tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel