New knock sensors and now no start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
hey at least you have a scanner to read and then clear codes. so many dont have even the cheapest of scanners.

i got a 15 dollar actron years ago. it lives in my console. never know when your gonna need it.

Thanks. And yes, my OBD scanner is in my center console.

Just for grins I thought I'd show a pic of the old sensors next to the new ones.

Y190oP.jpg

true I was having intermittent transmissions problems once, stupid trans would error out and sit dead in the water (no go), clear the code and you could go again until it would error out again, my little actron stays in the truck at all times now

X4. Autel is always in the truck.

OP
OP
A

aces-n-eights

Reaction score
I thought I'd give a little review of my experience replacing knock sensors in the event someone does a search in the future.

As I stated earlier, I am no mechanic. Fairly handy but not a lot of experience. I watched several YouTube videos and figured I could do this. Especially after getting an estimate from a local shop for almost $900 to do the repair. My cost was about $180 for 2 knock sensors, harness and manifold gasket.

I used a 8mm, 10mm and 22mm socket, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. I needed to buy a couple of tools that I did not have - a 3/8 fuel disconnect tool ($4.50) and a pick with a hook shape ($8.00) to remove the fuel injector wire harness connector.

It took me a little over 5 hours to do the job. It is basically removing the stuff in the way of the intake manifold and removing the intake. The sensors are in the valley below the intake manifold. Took my time, cleaned everything and other than my brain fart of turning the key, it all worked fine.

One trick... in one of the videos I watched, the guy recommended running a bead of RTV just outside of the rubber seal which seats above the knock sensor. This is to shunt water away from the hole the sensors fit in. Good idea.

Go for it - not too hard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts