New Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not always, but typically the reason a plastic/aluminum radiator cracks at the tanks is that if the coolant is low and then driven to operating temp, the super heated steam above the coolant is way hotter than the actual coolant and the crack is caused. It has been my experience that most cracks are near the top of the tank where that super heated steam would be. The tanks made now be made of a different material and has addressed this but I am talking about back a few years.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Not always, but typically the reason a plastic/aluminum radiator cracks at the tanks is that if the coolant is low and then driven to operating temp, the super heated steam above the coolant is way hotter than the actual coolant and the crack is caused. It has been my experience that most cracks are near the top of the tank where that super heated steam would be. The tanks made now be made of a different material and has addressed this but I am talking about back a few years.
Makes sense. That's where mine cracked too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne