New here with questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonYYC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Picked up a 2012 Yukon SLT last week after almost a decade in a Wrangler. Loving the luxury so far and the almost effortless way it handles the highway. Also happy to find this community. One thing I'm having trouble with in the early goings is my search phrases. I guess the Yulon/Tahoe/Escalade and a few trucks are similar? If I wanted to find say a video on how to change the brakes, would your search just include '2012 Yukon' or would you throw in some of the other models too to increase your chance of finding what you're looking for?

Hopefully you don't mind if I put a few questions in here too:

First up - any tips on removing the rear spoiler? The former owner of this Yukon must have been a daily driver on dirt roads and every conceivable nook and cranny is caked in dry Alberta dirt and the spoiler is leaking so much of it onto the rear window the wiper has rubbed some nasty scrapes into the glass. Planning on replacing the glass eventually but need to clean the dirt out of the spoiler first.

And speaking of that dirt, while I had the interior/exterior/engine bay detailed, the undercarriage (and I'm sure some other hard to reach areas) still remain really dirty. As this is my first ever used vehicle and I'm not overly mechanically inclined, I'm not sure how much I should care about this? The spare tire is caked to the point even the rim is full of dirt - I'm guessing getting that cleaned and easily accessible should be a priority? What about the rest? Should I spring to get someone to clean it for me? Any issues that could arise from being so dirty underneath (pictures to follow)?

There's also a bit of rust starting to show along the rear passenger doors and inside the wheel wells. We don't use salt on our roads here, but I'm sure this rust will likely spread - should I look into undercoating? Would that save me getting it cleaned as I'd assume the undercoating company would have to clean it themselves to coat it? What about the doors - are there any affordable options to try and slow that rust down?

I think that's it for the exterior right now. Sorry to show up guns blazing but I'm excited to spend a few bucks and get this thing to a point where I'm really happy with it but I'm just a bit uneducated on used vehicles.

Cheers
IMG_5574.JPG IMG_5576.JPG IMG_5577.JPG IMG_5590.JPG IMG_5592.JPG

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon and please post pics of the whole exterior and interior.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Virginia. You can google Yukon or Tahoe but include your year in case something changed, though I think 07-14 are the same. Check the rotors and brake lines. A pressure washer makes quick work of the dirt underneath. Any rust you see that looks flaky should be treated. There are lots of spray on rust inhibitors out there after the underside is clean.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

OP
OP
YukonYYC

YukonYYC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon and please post pics of the whole exterior and interior.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Thanks for the welcome! And apologies for the slow response. With Covid these days I'm a full-time stay-at-home dad and I only get an hour or two to myself in the evenings. I didn't want to reply without at least updating some basic info. I don't have a history of being mechanically inclined (tho I'm not afraid to try most things with the help of YouTube and forums like these) so I'm not sure of some of my specs at the moment, but will try and find out this week when I'm next working on the Yukon (parking brake needs to be replaced). I tried to upload an image of my RPO codes but it was huge and I didn't want it to be so obnoxious. I tried adding an Imgur link, but I guess links aren't allowed in signatures? I'll figure it out I'm sure...

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

I haven't taken any good pics yet but I will. Would that be something I add to a post like this? Or in a certain section?

OP
OP
YukonYYC

YukonYYC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh - I should also mention I meant to post this in the Exterior section but creating a post late at night is obviously not a good idea for me. If it can be moved, great! If it's fine here, great!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry about your signature. Welcome from NY

on the rust, try to snap a pic so we can see and tell you best how to handle it.

good luck, these are good trucks and can handle just about anything you can throw at them, and then drive you to church on Sunday

OP
OP
YukonYYC

YukonYYC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don’t worry about your signature. Welcome from NY

on the rust, try to snap a pic so we can see and tell you best how to handle it.

good luck, these are good trucks and can handle just about anything you can throw at them, and then drive you to church on Sunday

The pics are inside the Spoiler tag in the first post. Guess I didn't need to post it that way and now it won't let me edit it to show them...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to upload an image of my RPO codes but it was huge and I didn't want it to be so obnoxious. I tried adding an Imgur link, but I guess links aren't allowed in signatures? I'll figure it out I'm sure...

When trying to upload images to this Forum, there is a file size limitation that is smaller than many cell phones produce, so you may need to reduce the image file size, in order for it to successfully upload. When applicable, I transfer my cell phone image top my PC, and then I use the free app ScreenHunter to take a screen shot of the image, and it delivers a file in the KB size, versus the cell phone's MB size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094