New here with new to me burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dieseldave01

Dieseldave01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from Iowa.

What part of Southwest Ohio are you from? I get down to the Cincinnati, OH/Covington, KY area for work on a regular basis.

Good bourbon in that neck of the woods. Ya’ll can keep Skyline Chili though.

I live in the Oxford/ Hamilton area if your familiar with Butler county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the Oxford/ Hamilton area if your familiar with Butler county.

Know where you’re at. I don’t get that far north of Cincinnati when I’m in the area. Typically hang out on the KY side of the river, but will cross over for supper every once in awhile.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I’m Dave and recently purchased a 2012 suburban LT with 5.3, 4x4, with 50,000 miles on it. Pretty excited to get to know it better and figure out good reliable upgrades for it. I put good floor mats in it and tinted windows . Trying to figure what I need to do to make and keep this a reliable vehicle for many years and miles to come. I’ll snap some pictures tm. Im from Southwest Ohio. Thanks for all the info !

Nice rig Dave and welcome. That's a great price for those few miles.

Crawl underneath and examine her for rust. Get the spare tire hoist operating. Put the truck on a 50K at most service interval and start by changing all the driveline fluids. Find out what kind of oil she was using before you switch it over to your favorite flavor lest any crud break loose and gum up the works inside. If it has a rear air compressor, verify that it is working and working properly. Also check the rear air shocks for leaks. Eight years, regardless of miles, is when it's usually time to replace them. (Z55/G69)

If you plan to tow with it, find out if it has the single speed transfer case which would mean 3.08 (GU4) gears and a 5K or so towing limit. 3.42 (GU6) gears will allow for 8K pounds with a WD hitch and comes with 2-speed TC (NQH). Does it have an integrated trailer brake controller (JL1) on the left knee bolster under the lights and TC actuator? No matter, if not, there is wiring under the dash for an aftermarket controller. There are two wires under the dash still wrapped up until you decide to tow with it.

Consider strongly a bi-directional scan tool like the Tech-2 at some point to diagnose and help solve problems. More important than a wrench. There's also Bluetooth or WIFI adapters that talk to apps on your phone that work too, just not as in depth. Read your owner's manual cover to cover.

Consider also a tune, not just of the engine but the transmission too. Such will make it more driveable and durable. BlackBear Performance.

You can send GM an email and they will respond with a breakdown of what all those codes mean on that sheet in your glovebox. This is your RPO Sheet and tells you how your truck is optioned.

Does yours happen to have the LMG or LC9 engine? I think it should be the latter.

OP
OP
Dieseldave01

Dieseldave01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice rig Dave and welcome. That's a great price for those few miles.

Crawl underneath and examine her for rust. Get the spare tire hoist operating. Put the truck on a 50K at most service interval and start by changing all the driveline fluids. Find out what kind of oil she was using before you switch it over to your favorite flavor lest any crud break loose and gum up the works inside. If it has a rear air compressor, verify that it is working and working properly. Also check the rear air shocks for leaks. Eight years, regardless of miles, is when it's usually time to replace them. (Z55/G69)

If you plan to tow with it, find out if it has the single speed transfer case which would mean 3.08 (GU4) gears and a 5K or so towing limit. 3.42 (GU6) gears will allow for 8K pounds with a WD hitch and comes with 2-speed TC (NQH). Does it have an integrated trailer brake controller (JL1) on the left knee bolster under the lights and TC actuator? No matter, if not, there is wiring under the dash for an aftermarket controller. There are two wires under the dash still wrapped up until you decide to tow with it.

Consider strongly a bi-directional scan tool like the Tech-2 at some point to diagnose and help solve problems. More important than a wrench. There's also Bluetooth or WIFI adapters that talk to apps on your phone that work too, just not as in depth. Read your owner's manual cover to cover.

Consider also a tune, not just of the engine but the transmission too. Such will make it more driveable and durable. BlackBear Performance.

You can send GM an email and they will respond with a breakdown of what all those codes mean on that sheet in your glovebox. This is your RPO Sheet and tells you how your truck is optioned.

Does yours happen to have the LMG or LC9 engine? I think it should be the latter.
Great info and advice, I was thinking I should swap driveline fluids soon.

Where at GM do I send my vin (I assume ) to get the vehicle info

Best place to find a tech 2?

What does the tuning benefit? I’ve seen some post about having tuning turn off the cylinder shut down feature.

I guess I could do some searches to figure out these so disregard if I’m posting out of place. Thanks for insight.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info and advice, I was thinking I should swap driveline fluids soon.

Where at GM do I send my vin (I assume ) to get the vehicle info

Best place to find a tech 2?

What does the tuning benefit? I’ve seen some post about having tuning turn off the cylinder shut down feature.

I guess I could do some searches to figure out these so disregard if I’m posting out of place. Thanks for insight.

GM Heritage Center but I forget where exactly. Maybe someone remembers? @Doubeleive

For the Tech-2, Ebay, AliExpress, ChinaCarDiags, etc. You need the CANdi module and make sure it has 33.004 software.

The tune removes as much or little torque management as you like, it makes the shifts between gears (the time if takes for the solenoid to operate) faster, alters shift patterns to your liking, etc. If you make a u-turn and then go to get back up to speed, on a stock tune the truck will be a dog, she won't downshift to 1st usually. She'll just accelerate slowly in 3rd and might shift back to 2nd but not first gear. The tune can fix this! As for the engine, yes, you can disable AFM which will increase the life of the components and other changes are made that actually free up some horsepower which improves efficiency. Timing and fuel maps are tweaked among other things as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287