New here w/ 11 Hoe Mountain/overland build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoatsAndHoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,
New here, I live in western ND and spend as much of my summers in the mountains as possible. I purchased my 11 Tahoe at the end of 2018 and got into overlanding and off roading due to a lack of available camping spots during the pandemic over the last couple summers. This is my daily driver and so I’ve been trying to create a balance of off road capabilities, overlanding features, and daily drivability. I do also occasionally tow with this rig and so you could say I’m trying to push the limits of flexibility and practicality here but I’m certain the Tahoe platform can accommodate. I discovered this site while looking for ideas for my build and look forward to learning whatever I can from all of you.

Most of my favorite trails are in the mountains in MT or I spend a lot of time in the National grasslands doing long distance shooting.

Mods so far:
- 3.5” Rough Country Lift and leveling kit
- 33” tires
- Bilstein rear shocks
- 17x9 American racing wheels (painted)
- Tow mirrors
- TruCool 40k trans cooler
- Debadged and removed trim
- removed third row seats

Future plans:
- mishimoto thermostat for trans cooler
- custom bumper/winch
- rock sliders
- custom roof rack and roof top tent
- custom rear bumper
- custom rear mounted spare
- engine swap
- overlanding kitchen and storage setup in cargo area
- modernized stereo electronics
- cell phone booster
- auxiliary power inverter
- engine swap

Most recent photo with winter tires and freshly painted wheels:
59DFC318-0760-4A4E-BCFC-47C03ED14538.jpeg

3BE9EB43-0BEF-4CC9-93F3-5CA234F2856A.jpeg5347C3DD-C6EF-43E9-B55D-1A06939CC45F.jpegD9DB61FD-8C58-4CF2-BD51-317FBF667AD9.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice looking truck, and perfect for your needs.

OP
OP
B

BoatsAndHoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from Secaucus New Jersey! You bought the perfect vehicle for your off roading.

This is probably the happiest I’ve ever been with a vehicle purchase to be honest and I continue to be impressed with how underrated this chassis truly is. My only complaint so far is the limited amount of aftermarket support for off roading these rigs. I really envy the diversity of options my friends have who own Jeeps. As a result I always seem to be researching cross compatibility of parts and such from other GM vehicles.

Nice, I like the look. I think you hit the right balance of mods for your use. Mine is more hardcore off-road built but I wouldn’t tow much with it.

Thanks. I will be diving deeper into off road mods over the next couple years. I don’t anticipate doing any serious rock crawling, but in the mountains I do occasionally encounter some obstacles that I would fare better against if it had rock sliders and a winch. Sometimes I question my own sanity given the price I’m willing to pay simply to be able to camp where no one else can go.

OP
OP
B

BoatsAndHoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and I like those wheels.

Thank you. Those are American Racing Baja’s (17x9 -12) that have been painted with duplicolor bronze wheel coating. I may have them bead blasted and powder coated eventually depending how the coating holds up. Coating them was more work than I would be willing to do a second time.

0B92993E-031B-451C-883F-B1867CEADA8A.jpeg33A58E56-47D1-40DC-B614-81F65D6A7FC6.jpeg3F9831B1-85C8-48F5-AB10-5E794A916F85.jpeg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium