New here. Michigan. 2009 Tahoe SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score
Sooo... decided to do a little moonlight repair. Shoulda known better!

Just wanted to replace the brake lamp switch to get cruise control back. Innocent enough right? Wrong!

Somehow I sprung the friggn retainer clip to the darkest corner of the deepest pit in my dash or pedal area. Astonishing..

Wasted 15 mins searching with a flashlight because I chose to do this at night in my driveway instead of the garage during the day like a normal person. No luck. Tried shaking the Tahoe to jiggle it loose. Nothing.

Hobbyist musician and mechanic so improvising comes naturally. This is what I came up with.

FF715285-BF1B-473A-AD52-BD7695173FB9.jpeg

I made sure not to over tighten it. Didn’t want to bind up any pivoting action.

Trying to find the damn part number for the retainer clip. Will post it when I find it.

We’ll call it a partial victory as the cruise control works now. :peace:

I was hoping the damn clip would jiggle loose on the test drive. Nope.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo... decided to do a little moonlight repair. Shoulda known better!

Just wanted to replace the brake lamp switch to get cruise control back. Innocent enough right? Wrong!

Somehow I sprung the friggn retainer clip to the darkest corner of the deepest pit in my dash or pedal area.

Wasted 15 mins searching with a flashlight and no luck. Tried shaking the Tahoe to jiggle it loose. Nothing.

Hobbyist musician and mechanic so improvising comes naturally. This is what I came up with.

View attachment 271861

I made sure not to over tighten it. Didn’t want to bind up any pivoting action.

Trying to find the damn part number for the retainer clip. Will post it when I find it.

We’ll call it a partial victory as the cruise control works now. :peace:
Those clips always spring off into never never land. You can either turn the Tahoe upside down and shake it or get an assortment set off Amazon. Is it the circlips type?

71NU5gfhRbL._SX522_.jpg

OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score
Those clips always spring off into never never land. You can either turn the Tahoe upside down and shake it or get an assortment set off Amazon. Is it the circlips type?

71NU5gfhRbL._SX522_.jpg

Nope. That’s why I’m still amazed. It’s like it vanished into thin air. It’s huge and impossible to miss like the one below, but mine has the screw that passes through.

CE1ABBD8-A446-4AF9-B3BA-D771D851D3CE.jpeg

Last edited:

ChrisSRT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine wound up going just behind the top edge of the carpet on the firewall. Couldn't see it, but could feel it when I ran my fingers behind the carpet edge.

OP
OP
Chris Z

Chris Z

Reaction score
You'll find it when you don't need it anymore. Did you look under the seat, near the seat track.

Murphy’s law! The lol bigger still hasn’t turned up.

You can search for Dorman 13808 or Napa has their house brand. Looks like most auto parts stores have them.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP...2RYG4OvEbXELX9KwTReImbHTFpsdaGIaAuVOEALw_wcB&

Thanks for the link. I’m wondering if the round style is a suitable replacement. It’s a little different that the one I lost, but most others don’t have the pass through for the 10mm bolt.

mine wound up going just behind the top edge of the carpet on the firewall. Couldn't see it, but could feel it when I ran my fingers behind the carpet edge.

I have the plastic floors still. I peeled it back a little bit. Probably just enough for it to fall in deeper if it was there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons