New here, looking at getting a ppv or ssv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read thru most of the forums here, glad Ive found it. Ive learned a lot. I think im flying to Chicago, either buying it from chicagomotors, or asia. Seems like members have had positive comments on both.

I do have a few questions for yall.
With the PPV, is the ride any harsher that the SSV ones. Being 3" shorter springs makes it seem like youd feel it a bit more.

Ive read the the ppv versions can have a aftermarket tow hitch and tow lightweight trailers. Some say this is not advised.

What are some things I should look for when looking at the vehicle.

Are there any maintenance issues with these long term? What have yall experienced.

I appreciate all the imput.
Thank you.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought two vehicles from Chicago motors (actually picking up the second this Wednesday). I’ve had good experiences but I will say that the vehicles tend to look better online than in person. I ended up buying an ssv that hadn’t been listed yet.

First time I flew out with a few picked out to look at. All of them were rougher than I expected. The second time I had a friend go and test drive it and send me detailed pictures. I made the deal over the phone and they’re even picking me up at ORD.

I’d make sure everything works before leaving, they’re good at making sure everything does but they don’t catch everything. They’re more than willing to fix/swap things if needed.

Common things I’ve come across are:
*Seat motor gears breaking
*Door lock motor gears breaking
*Both of my rear speakers were out (wiring was all in tact, replaced them and worked again)
*Leaking trans cooler lines
* cracked dashes

Some have dod/afm failures, mine has not but I plan on swapping the cam out soon. It’s not the cheapest thing either. I went aftermarket and I’m at like $1500 or so.

Mine is lowered 2” up front and 3” in back with bell tech springs. It rides nice but also has the free travel mod done and has helper bags. I’ve never driven a ppv but springs are cheap and easy regardless.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front springs are the same in the PPV and SSV, the front is lower only by the low profile tires. The rear springs are different though and lower/level the back end. More than likely the shocks are probably toast on any used PPV you will find, they should be at the top of the list to replace. And yes those low profile PPV specific tires ride like dammit. I opted for a bigger profile tire and replaced all of my suspension with Belltech (all info it my sig below), the ride is night and day better. It's still a bit drastic on bumps, but that is the lowered life, although I'm certainly not slammed by any means. But FWIW I daily drive mine.

Lightweight trailers shouldn't be a problem at all.

As far as things to look for, common issues.......I believe there is a sticky thread that goes over everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442