New guy with new Tahoe and lots to learn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pwrshft99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased an 05 Tahoe LT and reasonably happy with it in the first week of ownership. It has 138k and was the nicest running/driving of all the Tahoes I drove in my price range. Mechanically its solid but due to looking at it at night, I missed some half assed repair of body damage.

After getting caught up on maintenance and more familiar with the vehicle, I intend some mild modifications. Its way too damn quiet for one, exhaust is on the list. I will be changing fluids soon and would like to install a bigger trans cooler and possibly a deeper pan? while Im at it.

On most of my vehicles, I have come up with my own, DIY cold air kit. Kinda Google and copy what other people do rather than buy a kit. Some vehicles of this generation seem to require a tune for even a simple air filter upgrade. I'm wondering if this is the case on my 05? HP Tuners is a consideration but I wouldn't like to buy it until I need it.

I have big plans for this truck and much to learn from this site!!
IMG_20190202_110219.jpg IMG_20190202_110141.jpg

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Welcome! Do recommend an exhaust on these. They love to breathe and I wish I had put a bigger exhaust on mine than 2 1/4"

OP
OP
Pwrshft99

Pwrshft99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome. It looks good from here at least. Lots of info and help to be had from the people here.

Thanks!! The liftgate was replaced with one that was a different color and the respray is poor quality. Had I seen it in daylight , i would have negotiated more.

Oh well , if it bothers me enough there is 1/2 off at my local junkyard on holidays lol

OP
OP
Pwrshft99

Pwrshft99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome! Do recommend an exhaust on these. They love to breathe and I wish I had put a bigger exhaust on mine than 2 1/4"

Anxious to open it up but going to be patient. Would really like a turbo setup at some point in time. YouTube makes it look sooo easy lol

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Anxious to open it up but going to be patient. Would really like a turbo setup at some point in time. YouTube makes it look sooo easy lol
Youtube makes anything look easy. I will say though, on decel I think mine sounds awesome. Sounds like it has a burble tune of some kind on it and it sounds awesome. Combined with the 3" black dual exhaust tips straight out the back, it sounds amazing on anything under like 4k rpms. Over that it just sounds like it's blowing air

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing a CAI for sound, then give it a try. Most likely you will gain zero performance, may even lose some, or only gain a hair at peak. Its one part of this that is designed well.

If you really want to be informed of any problems it can cause, look up what microns it allows through, and see what particulates you have in your area. At least for me, (here in AZ desert), we have the occasional dust storms where the particulates are smaller than what is filtered. It leaves a thin powdery like coating on everything. For me, that's not something I want running through my intake the few days a year it happens, so that's why I won't use them...

Being in the snow, there's a problem with water/slush/snow getting caught in the fender wells because of some cover that breaks. Its an easy fix if you catch it. Something to worth searching for on here, and then on your vehicle to make sure it stays nice.

The exhaust is going to be nice. It will make it sound better if that's your main goal. If you want performance you really want to start with a custom tune. There are a few vendors on here and around, and its about the same cost as half an exhaust. Not sure what your experience is with this engine/vehicle or similar, but this engine will wake up nicely with a tune, and depending on your skills other combinations have probably already been done many times over.

Welcome.

OP
OP
Pwrshft99

Pwrshft99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are doing a CAI for sound, then give it a try. Most likely you will gain zero performance, may even lose some, or only gain a hair at peak. Its one part of this that is designed well.

If you really want to be informed of any problems it can cause, look up what microns it allows through, and see what particulates you have in your area. At least for me, (here in AZ desert), we have the occasional dust storms where the particulates are smaller than what is filtered. It leaves a thin powdery like coating on everything. For me, that's not something I want running through my intake the few days a year it happens, so that's why I won't use them...

Being in the snow, there's a problem with water/slush/snow getting caught in the fender wells because of some cover that breaks. Its an easy fix if you catch it. Something to worth searching for on here, and then on your vehicle to make sure it stays nice.

The exhaust is going to be nice. It will make it sound better if that's your main goal. If you want performance you really want to start with a custom tune. There are a few vendors on here and around, and its about the same cost as half an exhaust. Not sure what your experience is with this engine/vehicle or similar, but this engine will wake up nicely with a tune, and depending on your skills other combinations have probably already been done many times over.

Welcome.

Thanks!! A Pep Boys coupon came in the mail today so I got a K&N replacement filter, I'll leave the rest of the intake alone for now.

I come from the Ford world and have had quite a few modified Mustangs over the years. I still have a 2.3 turbo swapped Ranger I drive in the summer time. Not too intimidated by mechanical work, I'd really like to try my hand at digital tuning. I hear great things about HP Tuners

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9