New guy with a 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, now finally able to post. I come here from the Ford Explorer world. My beloved 1999 Explorer Limited 5.0L AWD was taken out by an inattentive drive last month.
Since I had to go back into debt to get a replacement, I decided to get something I wanted. I had been looking at 2010-2014 Tahoes for awhile. However, in my relative area, they were going for $25 large. Which I was OK enough with.
Then I stumbled upon this 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD at a dealer 4 hours from home. It was a two owner with 123,702 miles on the clock. I have a decent service history. Shock replacement at all four corners in early 2020 stands out as a very good thing.

The test drive was great! I was comfortable and had all kinds of room. However, it didn't feel all that big to drive. My Explorer was a little cozy inside. Granted, I am a fat bastard...
And...when I put my foot in the water pump, the 6.2L made GREAT noises!

The dealership replaced the oil pan gasket, oil cooler lines, transmission cooler lines, air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades during their inspection of the vehicle. As well as did an oil change.
They are delivering the Escalade to my home tomorrow afternoon. Why? Because they are touching up paint scratches on the bumpers and replacing all four door window trim appliques.

I have ordered an Alldatadiy subscription for it.
I have ordered an AutoCal V3 tune kit from BlackBear Performance.
I will be ordering a Tech 2 as soon as I sort through the 'Tell Me Why I Want A Tech 2' thread.

My plan is to change all the fluids immediately, with the exception of the transmission fluid. (It is currently nice and red, however...)
And replace the battery.
Oh yeah, I need to write down all the RPO codes from the sticker in the glove box.
Then inspect the brakes and such.
I have ordered Sonnax pressure switch rebuild kit and the 6L45-6L91-ZIP kit, and a new GM transmission pan. I will weld a bung to the new pan for a drain plug. When the Sonnax parts arrive, I will drain the trans and drop the valve body. Once back together, I will flush the transmission with new synthetic GM Dexron VI.

In the near future, I am doing a plugs/wires tune up and replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner.

From there, I will just drive the wheels off it and learn the nuances in care and feeding of a 2013 Escalade. I have been lurking here for a few months. My Explorer was totalled last month, but she was old. I had been looking for something else for a bit.

I plan on being an active member on this forum. Thanks for having me!

Photos below are at the dealership today:

2021-10-11.001.jpg

2021-10-11.002.jpg

2021-10-11.003.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, and welcome to the group! Stick around and make friends - this is a great group of knowledgeable people.

If I were to do anything to the transmission though, it would be a new upgraded TC with a billet housing. When the TCs in these fail (lockup clutch is flimsy and fails with the added stress that AFM places on it) - and you’re getting into the mileage where they start to, they take out the transmission with the debris from it. I had a local transmission shop do the one in my 2012 XL Denali because I do a lot of towing with it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Long time lurker, now finally able to post. I come here from the Ford Explorer world. My beloved 1999 Explorer Limited 5.0L AWD was taken out by an inattentive drive last month.
Since I had to go back into debt to get a replacement, I decided to get something I wanted. I had been looking at 2010-2014 Tahoes for awhile. However, in my relative area, they were going for $25 large. Which I was OK enough with.
Then I stumbled upon this 2013 Escalade ESV Premium AWD at a dealer 4 hours from home. It was a two owner with 123,702 miles on the clock. I have a decent service history. Shock replacement at all four corners in early 2020 stands out as a very good thing.

The test drive was great! I was comfortable and had all kinds of room. However, it didn't feel all that big to drive. My Explorer was a little cozy inside. Granted, I am a fat bastard...
And...when I put my foot in the water pump, the 6.2L made GREAT noises!

The dealership replaced the oil pan gasket, oil cooler lines, transmission cooler lines, air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades during their inspection of the vehicle. As well as did an oil change.
They are delivering the Escalade to my home tomorrow afternoon. Why? Because they are touching up paint scratches on the bumpers and replacing all four door window trim appliques.

I have ordered an Alldatadiy subscription for it.
I have ordered an AutoCal V3 tune kit from BlackBear Performance.
I will be ordering a Tech 2 as soon as I sort through the 'Tell Me Why I Want A Tech 2' thread.

My plan is to change all the fluids immediately, with the exception of the transmission fluid. (It is currently nice and red, however...)
And replace the battery.
Oh yeah, I need to write down all the RPO codes from the sticker in the glove box.
Then inspect the brakes and such.
I have ordered Sonnax pressure switch rebuild kit and the 6L45-6L91-ZIP kit, and a new GM transmission pan. I will weld a bung to the new pan for a drain plug. When the Sonnax parts arrive, I will drain the trans and drop the valve body. Once back together, I will flush the transmission with new synthetic GM Dexron VI.

In the near future, I am doing a plugs/wires tune up and replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner.

From there, I will just drive the wheels off it and learn the nuances in care and feeding of a 2013 Escalade. I have been lurking here for a few months. My Explorer was totalled last month, but she was old. I had been looking for something else for a bit.

I plan on being an active member on this forum. Thanks for having me!

Photos below are at the dealership today:

View attachment 352513

View attachment 352514

View attachment 352515
Glad to know ya! The Tech-2 will let you see the internal transmission oil life meter percentage; if the mechanic remembered to reset it if the fluid was changed!

I'm all for GM fluids but a fella on another forum with a K2 pickup measured a solid average 1 MPG increase after switching to Red-Line transmission fluid so you might consider that.

You discovered that the resale value for the short ones is higher than the long ones and that makes them an even better value!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Nice find.

Welcome from Secaucus New Jersey!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep torque converter should be replaced if you are going to dig into it, that's the weak link
if they offer a powertrain warranty I would take it, just for peace of mind. the cheapy bottom line warranty is crap and the high level bumper to bumper option isn't really necessary. A powertrain warranty covers the basics (stuff most likely to break down).

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice looking truck!