New exhaust cat delete???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnc-97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've heard of plenty of people having success with the spark plug non-fouler trick, so you can try that as a cheap and easy solution.

This worked like a charm on my 01 Ram with the 360. Drove it for 13 months like that until I traded it in. I had a CEL for the torque converter if I’d get on the highway, but never an O2 sensor code.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not into the idea enough to go down that path of codes and tunes. I'll just a put a high flow cat on there I suppose. Anyway the shop I wanted to go to said they won't do it and most in our area won't because if they get caught they will be executed in a satanic fashion (his words not mine)

Ask them if they’d do it if you paid in cash. Don’t ask me how I know this

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just go talk to them personally, generically request that I have a damaged area of my exhaust replaced and pay in cash. I'd never mention the word "catalytic converter". If they catch your drift, they'll either understand and agree or understand and decline. If they decline, there are other shops.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this thread. Does anyone know how much difference it makes running no cats verses a "high flow" cat such as the stainless Y pipe and high flow cat from Magna Flow. I installed this set up on my rig about 7 or 8 years ago. Been working great ever since then. I think it was about $350 back then. But didn't notice much difference over the worn out stock set up. But the truck did have 225K miles back then...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cats makes it louder, a little smellier and maybe yields a few upper-RPM horseytorques but likely at the sacrifice of a few lower-end ones.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if you remove the cats will you ever be able to sell or trade it?

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this thread. Does anyone know how much difference it makes running no cats verses a "high flow" cat such as the stainless Y pipe and high flow cat from Magna Flow. I installed this set up on my rig about 7 or 8 years ago. Been working great ever since then. I think it was about $350 back then. But didn't notice much difference over the worn out stock set up. But the truck did have 225K miles back then...

I see it as one less thing to go wrong, and one less, unnecessary expense

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oxygen sensor extension bung its sometimes called. basically just pulls the sensor tip out of the exhaust flow. regarding removing cats or running a high flow cat vs a stock cat the gains are minimal in most cases and not worth the effort. not to mention based on your area definitely not worth the ticket. as far as replacing the y pipe with new cats just do your research before you make a choice. i went with bosal brand catted y pipe on my 97 and compared to the y pipe i pulled off the pipes are actually bigger. i also noticed the stock cat when i chopped it off was almost necked down a little on the inlet and little on the outlet. the bosal does not appear to have the same extra choke point. so check around compare images and information and make a choice. other brands i might suggest is magnaflow. i swapped to a magnaflow cat on 2 different vehicles due to actually cat failure and immediately noticed a tone difference from prior the cat failing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094