New ECM - wrong VIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a whole bunch of diagnostic work, the shop I took my truck to told me I needed a new ECM. That whole saga is in another thread and the jury is still out on whether it solved my problem. However, what I noticed, via DashCommand, is that the new ECM, which is a reman supposedly, has the VIN of a 1997 Sierra with a 5.0L engine in it and I have a 97 Tahoe with a 5.7L. I don't care about the model, but the engine is a huge difference. I also am getting a P0137 (HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2) now, which is completely new, although I'm hoping that's because it's confused.

So a few questions...

What kind of problems can that VIN mismatch cause?
If it was a reman, wouldn't the VIN be blanked out or something and need programming before working? Or is this just a junk yard pull someone is passing off as a remanufactured unit?
Lastly...what does it take to program the VIN into the unit?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that you need to program the new ECM to your truck's vin.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Ebay sellers have reprogrammed ECMs that are plug and play. Send VIN and Mileage and it works when you plug it in. Otherwise, need a Tech-2 or similar to program that info in.
The shop should know this. Sounds like you got a junkyard ECM (look for paint marks from yard).

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Ebay sellers have reprogrammed ECMs that are plug and play. Send VIN and Mileage and it works when you plug it in. Otherwise, need a Tech-2 or similar to program that info in.
The shop should know this. Sounds like you got a junkyard ECM (look for paint marks from yard).
It looks very clean...maybe a return to wherever they bought it from? I don't think the shop is scamming but I am a little disappointed in the shop, with that sticker there and all...

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_113544.jpg
    IMG_20230218_113544.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a reman ECM. Just needs programming. Takes about 20 minutes or less. Ebay price is usually the same programmed or not because they are plugged into it on the bench already.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a reman ECM. Just needs programming. Takes about 20 minutes or less. Ebay price is usually the same programmed or not because they are plugged into it on the bench already.
Well it's been programmed... To a 97 Sierra with a 305! Im guessing that whoever the shop got it from sold them a return that hadn't been cleared out.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that ECM fits many, the software(programming) is different. So looks like a call to the shop to find out if They can re-program it, or send it back to wherever they got it for reprogramming.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that ECM fits many, the software(programming) is different. So looks like a call to the shop to find out if They can re-program it, or send it back to wherever they got it for reprogramming.
First thing Monday. No way I'm driving around with it programmed to the wrong engine size any longer than I have to

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop should know this.

That’s the key point right there. They’re sloppy and I’d not use them again.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm guessing the tech thought the front office ordered it programmed to the truck and then didn't double check. He was trying to get it done so my daughter would have a the car for the weekend.

So yeah I'm disappointed cause it's lacking a little due diligence. But they've been really thorough on everything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011