New bluetooth for PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldbrowntruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought this 2006 PPV 2wd.

It only has the base am/fm radio. I would like to install a basic bluetooth radio to pair with my phone. Will any given radio require a dashboard adaptor? Is their a specific type of radio I need to buy for the correct fit? It doesn't have a center console and I believe only the speakers in the door are still there, but seem to work fine with the radio that's in it. Thanks!

IMG_20211012_110653973_HDR.jpg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Double DIN. Be aware there’s a lot of inconsistency in the information provided by Crutchfield as well as other sources when it comes to fitment. Various sources of info including from the radio makers don’t always agree, and sometimes they tell you radio A will fit and B will not, even when B is smaller in depth and they’re both the same height and width. So cross check and take a grain of salt with their solutions.

You will need a faceplate mount adapter plus the wiring adapter to replicate the turn signal sounds, door chimes, dash warning sounds etc. GM makes all those sounds with the factory radio.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield, for sure, and even if you don't end up purchasing the head unit from them, as they will let you know what head unit sits your truck, and what interface unit (if any) you need in addition to the head unit, to preserve functionality with any steering wheel buttons. Folks here like Kenwood and Pioneer, though there are other good brands, as well.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck has XM radio, check out this auxiliary input hack (Youtube video below). I did this about three years ago and it's been great. Once installed, you tune your XM to channel 0, and then play whatever music you want through the input jack.

Once I had the auxiliary input installed, I bought a USB powered bluetooth aux adapter (link below) and wired it in through a switch to Retained Accessory Power (RAP). This allows me to turn on/off the bluetooth with a switch I mounted in the dash, and the bluetooth connection is only powered when the key is on.

Hope this helps! It sure was cheaper than an aftermarket radio, and I was able to retain the factory equipment.

OP
OP
oldbrowntruck

oldbrowntruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but I have the build sheet for the truck from the factory and it shows the satellite radio as a delete.

xenocide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@clandr1 .. do you have a thread you could point me to where you got an RAP trigger?

I too like keeping the stock equipment. I just got a 2004 Tahoe and similar to what clandr1 did, I added bluetooth to the factory head unit using the isimple ISF2351 adapter. This unit gives you bluetooth calling as well as bluetooth music and plugs in behind your radio so you just have to tune in a customizable radio station and the bluetooth comes over that station. I've got 3 vehicles with this adapter installed and it works great.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@clandr1 .. do you have a thread you could point me to where you got an RAP trigger?

I too like keeping the stock equipment. I just got a 2004 Tahoe and similar to what clandr1 did, I added bluetooth to the factory head unit using the isimple ISF2351 adapter. This unit gives you bluetooth calling as well as bluetooth music and plugs in behind your radio so you just have to tune in a customizable radio station and the bluetooth comes over that station. I've got 3 vehicles with this adapter installed and it works great.
Sure, here's what got me started. I have a sunroof so was lucky I could use that RAP point, but if your vehicle doesn't, you'll have to go with the BCM option referenced in the link below. I'm also copying and pasting the text from the post below in case that forum ever gets deleted/moved.

Hi All -

Firstly, This article applies to a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Pickup. I'm sure it will cross over to other year trucks, but I can't say for sure which years / models. Use the following info at your own risk!

After scratching my head for a while and after doing a lot of reading here on gm-trucks.com; I figured out how to make myself a "RAP Accessory" power wire.

The problem came when I wanted to install my aftermarket Pioneer XM radio / FM Modulator in my truck. I was able to find an accessory power wire quickly, but it really wasn't what I wanted. By using accessory power to power the XM Radio, it would go off when the key was turned OFF, however the OEM radio would stay on using RAP power. The result was I couldn't listen to the last few verses of my favorite songs and after the XM Radio died I got loud static on the OEM Radio (because the FM Modulator kicked out.)

This problem resulted in the quest for the elusive Retained Accessory Power point.

The problem is that, in my vehicle at least, GM turns the radio (and other stuff too) ON while in "RAP Mode" with a command send on a Data Bus from the BCM to the radio. The BCM computer says "Hey You, Radio - Stay on till I tell you to shut off." The BCM computer then monitors the door switches and also starts a counter for 10 minutes. When someone opens the door or the 10 minute timer expires the BCM computer recognizes this and says over the data bus to the radio, "Hey You, Radio - Shut Off Now." Power to the device is not actually toggled off; the BCM commands the radio to shutdown over data bus.

The short part of the story is that a Retained Accessory Power Wire doesn't exist (with one exception).

The exception is a circuit setup to power the sunroof with RAP power. Even if you don't have a sunroof there still should be enough of the wiring to do what you need to do.

There are two places that you can tap this wire one is in the Right Body Fuse Panel and the other is at the BCM.

In the Right Body Fuse Panel,(in the same place as your regular interior fuse panel just on the other side of the dash) is accually a juction block with a bunch of plugs. Your looking for Connector 6, it is in the in the lower right corner of the panel. If you have a sunroof there will be a light green plug in it. It is a six terminal plug. Your looking for the wire in position D. It should be a small dark blue wire.

or

The BCM is under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. On Connector 2 on the BCM (24 pin gray connector), pin B3 is RAP supply voltage for the sunroof relay. This is shown as a dark blue wire in schematics.

That dark blue wire is the wire you need. When the truck is RUNNING, ON, ACCESSORY or RAP Mode there is 12 volt power on this wire.

I didn't tap the wire directly; I'm not sure how much power that wire would safely provide. I used the Dark Blue wire here to switch a relay to run the accessories that I wanted to run on RAP power. If you have a sunroof you'll have to wire in a second relay in paralell.

So there you go - you now can make your own Retained accessory power.

As I have time - my goal is to get some pictures up here to help better explain.

Further reference on the forums:

Retained Accessory Power
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=414748

Sunroof Curcuit Schematic
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=557849

Dave

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with the iSimple ISF2351 is that it will only play as good as a standard radio station. And if you have a local station that plays on the programmed channel, or even near it, you may, and often do, get radio interferance.

There are wireless bluetooth modules that plug into the system, and utilize the steering wheel controls. I prefer the USASpec BT45-GM15 (without XM), and BT45-VETTE (with XM). These are litterally plug and play units. The both play CD quality sound, and have no interferance as they utilize a XM input already on the headunit.

With the current chip shortage, they are not available, but will be around X-Mas (per USASpec).

iSimple also makes a kit like USASpec, ISGM655, plug and play, with some expandability (HD Radio). I had this kit installed in my Avalanche, with the HD module. Although the kit worked, I was always having to reset it.

These kits are in limited supply currently, as the chip shortage has affected them as well. I found a few of the iSimple on Amazon.

I dont personally recommend the iSimple kit. They have issues, causing conflicts on the vehicles network, causing a rash of problems, from engine stalls, misfires, to plainly not starting. I did not have these issues on my Avalanche, but I did have constant radio crashes, and radio errors.

I pulled the iSimple thing out, and put in a BlueFusion BFCL2K, which I loved. But they no longer make them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd