New battery installation warnings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are standard lead cell rather than agm, I assume?

I know guys run AGMs in our trucks but consider this from GM. They said that these are not designed for use in our trucks, the AGMs work best with a different charge rate, I think they said slower, than the conventional battery.

On ACDelco's website, for my '09 they list the 48PS, 48PG and 48HPG. I have the 48PS and it is three years old now. It's a 30 month battery, meaning free replacement during that time. The other two are 42 month batteries. The factory original was a 6 Year battery.

For me, I'm leaning towards the 48HPG, for the extra reserve capacity. It also has a larger discharge rating and its cranking amps are similar to the PS and much less than the PG but since I have experience with the 48PS, I know that that battery works just fine in these trucks.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know guys run AGMs in our trucks but consider this from GM. They said that these are not designed for use in our trucks, the AGMs work best with a different charge rate, I think they said slower, than the conventional battery.

On ACDelco's website, for my '09 they list the 48PS, 48PG and 48HPG. I have the 48PS and it is three years old now. It's a 30 month battery, meaning free replacement during that time. The other two are 42 month batteries. The factory original was a 6 Year battery.

For me, I'm leaning towards the 48HPG, for the extra reserve capacity. It also has a larger discharge rating and its cranking amps are similar to the PS and much less than the PG but since I have experience with the 48PS, I know that that battery works just fine in these trucks.
Good info. Appreciate that. I currently have a red top 78/34 in my NBS. I’ll have to look into those GM batteries as well [emoji106]

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
walmart has the AGM battery for 149 with 5 years free replacement why would you spend 150 for a cheap battery?

good so far with 900km on it i did have a pending p0069 but the code ghosted me nothing on the scanner green check mark

I did inspect the 2 ground wires and the 0 gauge monster ground (3rd one)

there is some damage to one of the wires

and 6 points of potential failure or impedance of the grounding system... basically they cut corners
steel which is more than 40 times worse than copper.

you would need 40/0 gauge steel (basically beams the size of the world trade center) to equal 0 gauge copper..

0.999 silver cables would be for optimal for use as electrical cable but quite expensive

Last edited:

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of.

Did these vehicles come OE with an AGM battery?

It starts fine, even today with the temps in the teens. I've put an automatic charger on it the other day that does both types of batteries and it charged it fully according to the leds on the charger in about 30 mins.

Also, my dashcam uses a hardwire kit so it runs in parking mode when parked. The kit has a low voltage cut-off so not to drain the battery. I have it set to 12.2v and the camera used to record all night, but lately has been shutting off after 4hrs.

I usually turn it off when parked at home though because I have security cams or its in the garage, but I've noticed it shut off when leaving work and I'll look at the video timestamps to see when it shutdown and stopped recording.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
What kind of dash cam are you using?

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
What kind of dash cam are you using?
A Viofo dual camera system. Think it's the model 129A, can't remember exactly I've had it a few years now. I have a newer Viofo model 139 3 camera model in the Acadia. Both models have a power supply that has a low voltage cutoff selector switch that kills power to the camera if the vehicle battery gets below a selected voltage.