New audio system, now ive got bugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6OhDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a nice Alpine system, speakers subs amps x-overs HU, everything. After i buttoned everything up yesterday and tested it out, everything was perfect. Today, i have no low beams, sometimes I have highs. Rear doors dont unlock but will lock. And ive lost my steering wheel controls which i retained and worked perfect yesterday for volume, source ect. I removed the Bose Lux amp from the center console and tapped the speaker wires from that connector. I tapped the light green wire from the steering controls for the Maestro module. Ran my own grounds for the system instead of utilizing factory grounds in the harness.
Anyone got any ideas where to start?!
I have no blown fuses, did the battery reset as well.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first recommendation is that you disconnect all power wires associated with your new audio system (main power wires to the amps, HU power wire, and the 12v ACC wires to both amps, if they exist, and to the HU) from their source, and see if your electrical problems go away. If your electrical issues go away, that will confirm that your electrical issues are associated somehow with you audio system installation.

Then re-connect your audio system, one component at a time, starting with the HU, and see if you can isolate the component that is related to causing the electrical issues. After re-connecting each audio component, one at a time, drive the truck around a bit, and then check to see if your electrical issues re-appear.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
6OhDenali

6OhDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have disconnected the power to the amps, and the 12v accy to the radio. The 12v remote comes straight from the HU. but i didnt do the radio constant power..doh. Ill check that when i get home tonight.

I was wondering if the truck needs to see a load on a circuit that isnt there anymore? Ive converted the headlights to LED and all the interior lights. Maybe with the removal of all the factory sound equip its freaking out?

OP
OP
6OhDenali

6OhDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So someone correct me if im wrong.. Ive been researching and it seems that every single thing acting up right now is on the BCM connector 2. Since i removed all the factory stereo peices, cd changer and what Not and tapped into other wires for certain things, it makes sense that the BCM is freaking out? How can i reset the BCM?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you tap the green wire? Is that what the maestro says?

My guess is your ground is hot. Do you have a voltmeter you can check to see if you have a good ground? Assuming you haven't done the 4 hi mod, based on the headlights.

That green wire from the steering wheel goes to the BCM. I don't think you need to reset the bcm. I'm wondering if you energized a switch after you did your first test, and it stayed hot. Maybe you fried a diode or resistor in there somewhere.

What other wires did you tap into?
Why didn't you just use the harness ground for your head unit, and run new grounds for the amps?
If you did all that, why are you reusing the old speaker wire that you needed to tap into it?

If I was doing all that, from the harness I would have used: Power if the head unit is low wattage enough for it, the illumination, the auxiliary, the steering wheel, and (I'm pretty sure that's it (nav?).) Everything else associated with the old stereo would have gotten ripped out, and ran fresh after the head unit.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, double-check every wire.

If they're all connected where they go, not pinched, cut, etc., disconnect power to the HU then disconnect that light green wire from the steering wheel control interface. Power it all back up with the SWCI disconnected and see if anything improves. The SWC is the only part of the system that you're using that is tapped into the truck's data stream to the BCM. Maybe the SWC is faulty or a wire is pinched and shorting out the data signal and scrambling the BCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs