New addition to "I hate..." list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"mechanics" who over-torque lug nuts...

My daughter came home yesterday with a flat on her Jeep Liberty. I proceed to try and remove the tire and find all 5 lug nuts basically welded on! Using a cheater pipe and breaking bar I was finally able to loosen 3 of the 5 lug nuts. The aluminum cladding ripped of the 4th nut and the McGard lock key sheared on the 5th locking nut, both of which remain stubbornly attached and preventing me from removing the rim...:mad3:

I've seen the youtube videos on how to defeat the McGard wheel lock by hammering on a close fitting socket...guess I'll try that when I get home from work this evening.

This is my first experience with these McGard locking nuts and I think they are junk. The broken key material inside the socket actually felt like pot metal. I really don't know why the factory or dealer installed these locks in the first place as this jeep has standard painted steel wheels that I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble to steal. As soon as I can get a replacement key, these are all going to be replaced by regular lug nuts and going into the trash!

/rant off

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 to that... my 03 Impala I bought from Penske (The truck rental place) so a lot of simple work was done in their shop, well every wheel bearing had to be replaced because not once did they hand tighten the lugs it seems, just wrenched em on...

all mechanics who have impact guns should really own a set of torque limiters

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a torque stick on every vehicle. I check with manufacture recommendation for amount of torque, and what stick to use.

I've found that Chrysler lug nuts usually fall apart after time. And the "locking lug nuts" are shit.

Look at it this way, I'd rather have my lug nuts over torqued than not even tight and risk losing a wheel down the road...

cutsheal5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Over torqued nuts can snap the studs thats fact I never use a torque stick. I don't think losing my mechanics licence is worth being lazy over, some say they do work on that note "BUT" you have to properly lube the nuts and studs before installing. If you leave the impact on them too long they will be too tight, not long enough to loose and they reccommend that you go around and check them with a torque wrench anyways so whats the point? Your going to have to do it anyways just do it right the first time. I work on Transport trucks and bus's and the amount of wheels that you hear about falling off due to poor torquing is brutal the amout of people that have died because of it is even worse.

The best way I have found to take off broken or worn lock nuts is to very gently hit them with an air hammer on the edge so they turn make sure the bit is sharp or the rim might not look so good after.

Last edited: