New 2019 Tahoe Owner Needing Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EZ Money

Reaction score
what exactly is a ton of maintenance on HID? REALLY curious because I have ran them for well over a decade (on several vehicles), maybe I am missing out on some great maintenance procedure? please fell free to elaborate.

Over the course of my vehicles, back with a brand new ‘99 S-10 (7-8 vehicles singe then), HiDs have been the thing. Problems are the ballasts burn our, bulbs burn out, harnesses stop working, etc....plus they don’t always fire up with day-time running (or only 1 does)...I was replacing something on either side, just about every 6-months.
I have a box of spare HiD parts in the garage if you want them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the course of my vehicles, back with a brand new ‘99 S-10 (7-8 vehicles singe then), HiDs have been the thing. Problems are the ballasts burn our, bulbs burn out, harnesses stop working, etc....plus they don’t always fire up with day-time running (or only 1 does)...I was replacing something on either side, just about every 6-months.
I have a box of spare HiD parts in the garage if you want them.
over the course of time I discovered if installed properly HID's work perfectly, the power supplied thru the oem light harness is not enough or is barely enough to fire up a ballast, this causes strain on the oem harness and the fuse block. The best method is to wire fused power directly to the battery with a relay and ground to the frame, then only use the oem light harness as a "trigger" for the relay. this put's no strain on the oem light harness or fuse block. It is best to use good quality relays and ballast's and a good power wire, bulbs not so much they only last so long no matter if you paid $5.00 or $50. A lot of HID kits/ballast's out there are complete garbage they may say 55w but there are in all actuality not even 35w especially the "digital" ballast, you want a nice thick metal ballast see my photo below the one on the left is what you want a nice big thick ballast it weighs 1 lb+, the one on the right is crap garbage and does not even weigh 8oz, yet it says it is 55w, you could plug the same bulb into both, the good ballast will fire up the bulb nice and white the one on the right will make the same bulb look like 10,000-12,000k blue/ purple. If you run a good quality ballast and relay and wire it up properly you wont have any more problems than running any other kind of setup

BALL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts