New 2019 Tahoe Owner - Crappy halogen help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sublimize23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: diode dynamics SL1's arrived and installed.

The good: definitely somewhat brighter than halogen, good beam pattern with no dark spots or glare. This will hold me over until I can HID swap

The bad: the mounting tabs (H11) are crap. One tab on each bulb broke as I was installing it. I did not use too much force and they were keyed up correctly in the projector housing. Very hard, brittle plastic that's too thin. Needs metal tabs IMO. They still hold in there fine with no bouncing, so I'll run them for the time being.

The little ballast it comes with does fit into the headlight housing with no problem, no flickering of the lights, no errors, no problems with the backup camera either. No plans to use the CANBUS adapter. Hope this helps someone.

OP
OP
S

Sublimize23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After running these for a day and driving my commute (1.25 hours) in the dark on the way home, these are definitely adequate. I think HID would fill out the beam pattern a little more and throw the light slightly further, but the Diode Dynamics SL1 are a huge upgrade.

Howard_the_Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: diode dynamics SL1's arrived and installed.

The good: definitely somewhat brighter than halogen, good beam pattern with no dark spots or glare. This will hold me over until I can HID swap

The bad: the mounting tabs (H11) are crap. One tab on each bulb broke as I was installing it. I did not use too much force and they were keyed up correctly in the projector housing. Very hard, brittle plastic that's too thin. Needs metal tabs IMO. They still hold in there fine with no bouncing, so I'll run them for the time being.

The little ballast it comes with does fit into the headlight housing with no problem, no flickering of the lights, no errors, no problems with the backup camera either. No plans to use the CANBUS adapter. Hope this helps someone.

I have been looking at the SL1s myself. I am guessing the bulb driver and wiring all fit in the dust cover without any modification? Also how is the fan noise? I have heard the SL1s can be loud.

Anyone had any experience with other LED bulbs? I was also looking at the Putco ProLux Zero and wanted to know if anyone had used those.

OP
OP
S

Sublimize23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been looking at the SL1s myself. I am guessing the bulb driver and wiring all fit in the dust cover without any modification? Also how is the fan noise? I have heard the SL1s can be loud.

Anyone had any experience with other LED bulbs? I was also looking at the Putco ProLux Zero and wanted to know if anyone had used those.
Yeah, everything fits snugly with no modifications needed. You will need to remove the airbox and use a push rivet removal tool for the passenger side though.
You'll never notice it, it's hardly noticeable with the engine off and the dust cover open while I was testing it.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Yukon and felt the same about the halogens.

I think LED is great, but they don’t seem to perform as well unless in a LED specific projector. I feel the same way about HID bulbs in halogen projectors.

I swapped in OEM HID assemblies with a set of D3S Osram 6340 CBI bulbs and have been very happy with them. I created a relay harness that uses OEM connectors to address the PWM (pulse width modulated) low beam signal so the HID ballasts wouldn’t continually turn off & on causing the HID bulbs to flicker rapidly.

3042dd7972ff94e0ceb04d8f446ac558.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sncourtesy

Reaction score
Are those pics above with the SL1's installed? Are those pics of with just the headlights on? If so then the output looks to be pretty decent for a LED bulb in a Projector housing... I have 6k LED in my Fogs and have been very pleased with how they light up the road...Im thinking my fogs paired with these would give me enough light output at night..

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those pics above with the SL1's installed? Are those pics of with just the headlights on? If so then the output looks to be pretty decent for a LED bulb in a Projector housing... I have 6k LED in my Fogs and have been very pleased with how they light up the road...Im thinking my fogs paired with these would give me enough light output at night..

Are you referencing my photo? If so, those are HID bulbs in the OEM HID headlight assemblies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh