New 2019 Tahoe Owner - Crappy halogen help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sublimize23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Happy new owner of a 2019 LT with luxury package! Love everything about it except one thing - the horrible headlights.

I bought some Lasfit H11 LEDs off amazon and while the color looked great, they were even dimmer than the halogens.

What are my options? I know there is a (very) active vendor on this site but I am not sure how one Chinese made LED differs from another Chinese made LED, they all sort of seem cut from the same cloth to me. I don't want to end up with another dim set, these were in no way safe for use on the road. They looked great up against a wall or in photos but as soon as I went out for a test drive around the dark neighborhood, it would definitely not work in the real world.

Is it possible to go OEM? How would I even begin converting? I used to have HIDs in my old WRX and they were easy to convert, but I'd want to use a relay with the Tahoe and I'm not sure yet if I want to go down that road. Any experience with the options out there would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the output in comparison to the stock halos?
those must be a old bulb, only 5k lumens, this technology it still changing the newer LED cob bulbs are now 4 sided and put out way more light
but to me HID is a more trusted technology dependability wise, it is very easy to wire up a couple relays and put in a HID kit and you wouldn't have to make any changes to the factory wiring.

OP
OP
S

Sublimize23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My only concern about that is the warranty, I didn't want to start drilling the dust caps either.

zkutilek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have a 2017 Yukon. I bought 6K HID low beam kit, 6K LED High Beam Kit, and 6K LED fog kit from Vanquish Auto and have been happy with all of it. All super bright, no flickering, and plug and play.

Was happy enough with them that I bought the same setup for my 06 F250, but all LED. No HIDs in a reflector housing.

Here are a few comparison pics with stock halogens in pass side, and HID in driver side.3471057A-C472-4AFA-B03E-6C3DA530D2C9.jpeg 7F75E392-7D2D-40FF-B26D-D9850FC5F4C1.jpeg

A4A0BDEB-29A9-4D17-9632-58C7C3F7C4F0.jpeg

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont want to modify anything, an H9 bulb will fit (after you shave off the top tab), and give you quite a bit more output. Did it on wifes Traverse, and recently on my Avalanche (its in the 2007-2014 ext mods). Best thing is amazon has them for less than $20 a pair delivered...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED's can be bright, even some of the newer ones. However, LED's just don't have the throw that HID's are going to have. What I mean is they aren't going to project the light as far in front of the vehicle as HID's will. This is also why aftermarket LED's are not recommended for low beams, Highs and Fogs Only.

Some newer cars are coming with LED low beams, but they are in LED specific headlight housings that maximize the light projection from the LED's. Which do exist in the aftermarket; click here (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/hid-led-projectors.html) to see how much more expensive they are over HID projectors.

OP
OP
S

Sublimize23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all. I did some more research and ordered the Diode Dynamics SL1 set. I figure this one is at least designed to be optically similar to the halogens. It can't be worse than the stock lights. If that's still not up to expectations, I'll return them and have a shop do an HID install for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons