Negative shut off switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still may get an alarm in the future, but for now I figure I can wire in a switch for under 20 dollars and 30 minutes labor. I am open to suggestions about which alarms have worked well for others. I also need to program a key fob, which I believe most alarm systems come with. But I have never had an aftermarket alarm installed on any of my vehicles before. Has anyone bought the parts and done it themselves? I would be interested to hear more about it.

I've protected many cars through the years. My favorite was a one way valve on the brake line. With it set, you can apply the brakes but they won't release. Alas, it only works on single reservoir brake systems. dual systems like the late 60's and later it won't work. If you feel like having some wiring time, use TWO switches in the power line to the fuel pump. Switch number 1 next to the seat so you can flip it as you bail out in a car jacking. Switch #2 can be under the seat or dash and hidden. That one you shut off when you want to keep it from being started and driven. Either will keep the fuel from getting to the engine.

Several years ago, a gang from out west moved here to start chop shops. They didn't last long. The first member was shot by a prospective victim. The second one tried to mug a female martial arts teacher. #3 got caught trying to steal from a local motorcycle club member. The club paid a visit to the club house of the gang. I think they lived but went away shortly afterward.

OP
OP
NastyNate98

NastyNate98

Reaction score
I am going to go with the ignition shut off switch. I'll mount it under the steering column and behind the dash so it can't be seen. I will post pics when I'm done. It's 5 degrees in Nebraska right now and I can't fit the hoe in my tiny garage, so it will be a couple days. I can't wait to start working on this truck. Damn these winters!

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up the TILE finds keys and now can track cars and such,A kill switch of any kind is good but kill switches don’t stop flatbeds

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a clean 98 two door tahoe and I cant park it in my current garage because my garage was apparently made for a miata. I am moving in May but in the meantime I would hate for my hoe to get stolen from my driveway. Instead of an expensive alarm system I was thinking I could install a negative battery wire shut off switch under the dash. That way I can shut it off overnight, and even if someone broke in and tried to steal it, they would never have battery power. Thoughts?
that does not work at all because it will be something they are looking for..

best bet is to take the battery out or take the starter relay out or other important relay...

If your that worried just add a GPS tracker to it problem solved

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've protected many cars through the years. My favorite was a one way valve on the brake line. With it set, you can apply the brakes but they won't release. Alas, it only works on single reservoir brake systems. dual systems like the late 60's and later it won't work. If you feel like having some wiring time, use TWO switches in the power line to the fuel pump. Switch number 1 next to the seat so you can flip it as you bail out in a car jacking. Switch #2 can be under the seat or dash and hidden. That one you shut off when you want to keep it from being started and driven. Either will keep the fuel from getting to the engine.

Several years ago, a gang from out west moved here to start chop shops. They didn't last long. The first member was shot by a prospective victim. The second one tried to mug a female martial arts teacher. #3 got caught trying to steal from a local motorcycle club member. The club paid a visit to the club house of the gang. I think they lived but went away shortly afterward.
dude if someone tried to jack me they would get ran over

OP
OP
NastyNate98

NastyNate98

Reaction score
Look up the TILE finds keys and now can track cars and such,A kill switch of any kind is good but kill switches don’t stop flatbeds

Looks like this will only work within 300 ft...

according to their website

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
An alarm with motion is great idea. You can disable the vehicle any way you want, but the bad guy with a quick lift towing truck can be gone before you can put your socks on.

Local restaurants near a college campus have cameras with signs saying customer parking only. If you park and walk down the sidewalk, the truck is there within 60 seconds and 45 seconds later your ride is gone.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude if someone tried to jack me they would get ran over

Car jackers tend to come from behind or to the side. If you're not expecting it and your door is unloacked, you're looking at the barrel of a weapon in short order. The one locally who got shot wasn't able to handle a clutch and the owner moved off and pulled his .45lc revolver out and shot him on the spot.

Eldc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a clean 98 two door tahoe and I cant park it in my current garage because my garage was apparently made for a miata. I am moving in May but in the meantime I would hate for my hoe to get stolen from my driveway. Instead of an expensive alarm system I was thinking I could install a negative battery wire shut off switch under the dash. That way I can shut it off overnight, and even if someone broke in and tried to steal it, they would never have battery power. Thoughts?

On my old picknup I installed a dimmer switch on the floor that would interrupt the power to the ignition. Also wired a small light. When the key was turned on and the light came on, the ignition was interrupted. Press the switch, the light goes off and the ignition was connected. A dimmer switch on the floor slightly high would not be noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons