Need upgrade for off grid property

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well if it was my wheels have been swapped out before I bought the truck. But I have the original sticker that says 16" aluminum wheels and that is what's on there now. I read in another post that I believe the z71 series comes with "17 wheels.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
well if it was my wheels have been swapped out before I bought the truck. But I have the original sticker that says 16" aluminum wheels and that is what's on there now. I read in another post that I believe the z71 series comes with "17 wheels.
Maybe so then. I had an 03 Z71 that came originally with 17” wheels. I ran 16” wheels with 265/75R16 on it for the entire time I owned it. Worked well.

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t recommend larger tires if ride quality is important. Larger = more mass = more unsprung weight and suspension responsiveness diminishes. You don’t need bigger tires for clearance on a graded road. The wheels you have now are perfect.

Airing down can help, if you don’t mind airing up again when you return to the pavement. I’d be running 20-25 psi normally driving roads like that with a factory size tire. Pressure is somewhat speed dependent. If you’re going faster you’ll want to err on the high side to prevent pinching a sidewall from a high speed impact. Slower you can air down more and get a more cushioned ride.
Hi Bill and thanks for the info. I mainly just want to not rattle my truck apart on the 16 miles of washboard and smaller rocks and not get a flat. I think I will stick with a set of tires for my "16 rims because thats what I have for my spare as well.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no reason why you couldn't go one size larger tire and get a 285/70/17 or 285/75/16 which is a tad smaller than a 33" tire, get a light all-terrain tread pattern so you don't have noisy, heavy tires with low tread life. I just put a set of 285/70/17s on my buddy's Denali with an aftermarket Method race wheel and they fit with no rubbing and stock height. Yes, the tire will be a tad bigger/heavier than stock but most people can't tell the difference besides the ride quality improves over harsh surfaces because a bigger tire rolls over bigger bumps easier.

On keeping your 16" wheels I think thats the route I would take because a smaller wheel gives you more sidewall which in turn gives you more sidewall cushion. Plus you already have them and new wheels cost as much as new tires almost.

OP
OP
Squanjack

Squanjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, I ordered some Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT 265 75 R16s. I was able to pick up an extra set of Stock Chevy 16 rims locally so I can swap out BTW my road tires if I wont be heading out to my off grid property for a while. I guess I should get a good jack and lug wrench to do the job? Also I'll be airing down before getting on my 16 mile washboard road and airing up again for the highway part of the drive, Any good tools for that? I was thinking of a Milwaukee cordless tire inflator since I already have M18 and M12 batteries

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, I ordered some Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT 265 75 R16s. I was able to pick up an extra set of Stock Chevy 16 rims locally so I can swap out BTW my road tires if I wont be heading out to my off grid property for a while. I guess I should get a good jack and lug wrench to do the job? Also I'll be airing down before getting on my 16 mile washboard road and airing up again for the highway part of the drive, Any good tools for that? I was thinking of a Milwaukee cordless tire inflator since I already have M18 and M12 batteries
You will be very happy with the Falken tires.

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have Falken's on ours and I really like them. Will probably put them on my F-150 next time I need tires. We have bilsteins and z71 springs with the ford keys to help level the front. Ride is OK but that may be a bit jarring. Might want to look at something a little smoother like a previous poster said.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I am new to this forum and I am hoping for some advice.

I have a 2004 Tahoe 4x4 all stock suspension and wheels running standard road tires. I just bought some property in Northern Arizona and will be taking regular trips to it. There is 16 miles of rocky and washboarded dirt road to access the property. I am concerned that the suspension system might not hold up over time with the washboarding and occasional bigger rocks. I am planning to get some new tires as well.

Any recommendation on what tires hold up well to rocky gravel dirt roads?
Any insight on how to upgrade the suspension to hold up to 16 miles of washboarding and rocks on a regular basis?

Thanks !
Maintain that stock suspension and she will ride well. Get some Load Range C BFG KO2s, the treads do not hold rocks and pebbles so make sure you get splash shields before the rocks tear up your paint. They are one of, if not the best, all-terrain tires out there.

RuggedGMT400800

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bfg a/t used to be great. I used to run them all over for quite some years on various trucks. About 4-5 years ago I picked up a new set for my 97 k1500 and boy did something seem different.. major chunking, deep gouges and sidewall issues. This was all abnormal and had not happened to any of thenother sets on this Or other similar vehicles. Didn't make sense. Had roadhazard warranty swapped 2 out . I run aired down, I also offroad every day often extreme often just putting on mild riverbed or hills. I lost the bead on a rear and drove on it for a few Hundred feet or so, repeated and then realized the tire had bulges large balloons coming out the sidewall.. that's when I said enough enough.. a friend of mine repeatable got sidewall punctures I. His tundra driving through moderate rocks and was aired down..
I like Bfg m/t still.. but after dozens of different at and Mt tires ran on my many offroad trucks , there's one tire that always stood out to me. I bought them used about 40% and they did. Enter than any tire i had ever owned.. nitto extreme mud grappler . Never been a Toyota or nitto guy buy Jesus are these tires rugged. I drove on them 100% flat many times many miles, no issues, sidewall thicker than elephant skin, has Bearpaws along the sidewall to grab and smash over anything, glass bottles, rebar, I mean these things are ridiculously tough. Also a general recommendation whatever you do, I believe that getting a wider tire helps in all conditions on a truck. I have 33x 12.5 on yukon and Tahoe and 35,12.5. On the 2500hd and on 4 k1500s.

Going from say 9.5 to 12 or even 10.2 to 11.3 is an incredible percentage wider and that's multiplied by all your drive wheels, easier on the tire when going over objects wider surface to accept the oddity or deformity shape, larger footprint, better traction, more tire. I have very very slight run under heavy articulation on the yukon, runs the shock hasn't hurt the shock.. offset wheel would help this also. My other one has the rim with the 8 holes from Silverado. going around the area between tire and lugnuts and they don't rub. I have 17" on the gmt800s and 15 on the gmt400s. Enjoy your retreat and safe wheeling...an offriad equipment box is a must.m I have a winch on my vehicles front and rear.. yes in the rear cargo area mounted through ti to frame. I add crossbars behind the trailerbhitch on these vehicles and also trailer hitch especially j build onto the fronts of these.. its mando..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts