Need some input to ease my worries on a 2008 Tahoe z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got a cheap filter socket once, but it didn’t fit, so I opted to go with a band style. Does this K&N socket fit that tight space? Would be nice to use this as I’m always fumbling around with that band clamp.

In other words...I get outsmarted every time by the band clamp. :rolleyes:

And here I thought you said "outsmarted by band camp" all this time.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

As you can see, you've already received lots of good suggestions from the folks here in this Forum.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a cheap filter socket once, but it didn’t fit, so I opted to go with a band style. Does this K&N socket fit that tight space? Would be nice to use this as I’m always fumbling around with that band clamp.

In other words...I get outsmarted every time by the band clamp. :rolleyes:

It's not a socket, its a stamped nut welded to the oil filter as part of its design. You just use a standard 1" socket on a ratchet or a 1" wrench (preferably a box end) to snug it up or crack it loose.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get both a band wrench and socket type on mine without problems. Something I have noticed though is that there does not seem to be a standard for outside diameter and my socket type does not properly fit all manufacturer's filters. Pretty stupid lack of standard.

I also have a combo band/socket style that is similar to a slinky and it tightens up as it's turned with a ratchet wrench.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a nylon strap wrench from K-D Tools. I put filters on a little bit tighter than recommended, but since they aren't safety wired, I don't trust them. Airplanes use similar filters, but they have a torque spec and holes for safety wire. The strap wrench will easily remove & install the filter on the Tahoe oil pan, and it fits virtually all filters.

mang213

Reaction score
I have a band type filter wrench and have never had issues with LS equipped trucks. But if you want a real tip for this "problem " then just use the oil filters for the Ford 3.5 liter ecoboost motors in the F150s and full size Transit vans. Same threads on the filter as an LS filter, but the Ecoboost filter is about inch longer. Gives more filter to grab on to and has more filtering capacity. I've been doing this for at least 6 or 7 yrs now and works great. The filter I generally use is the Purolator Boss PB22500

Sent from my SM-T978U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts