Need some advice. Steering column issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got some steering column play. Take a look at the video it shows that the steering wheel can go up to the upper left and left. It moves around. When turning the brake chime will go off sometimes?

Just need help diagnosing what could be wrong. I need to take the steering wheel off but what should i look for? Didn't know if the clock spring or steering angle sensor would cause this but I think the previous owner said someone accidentally kicked the steering wheel or jump the seat and hit it but I don't know if there's any truth to that any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Droc

Droc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

another video? Maybe bearing missing or column broke?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this happened to my old bosses 03 gmc duramax. you been finding ball bearings on the floor at all? his was flapping loose all over and all the ball bearings came out it. our shop mechanic took most of the day figuring it out and then fixing it. he had the whole top of the column apart to fix it too.

OP
OP
Droc

Droc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought it this way. So not sure. I want to take it apart more but i can tell someone tickered with it before. Cancel cam is not even there. Horn dont work cause horn contact just goes thru to steering column if you see red wire in second video. I think he tried to fix it and someone made it worse.

OP
OP
Droc

Droc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought it this way. So not sure. I want to take it apart more but i can tell someone tickered with it before. Cancel cam is not even there. Horn dont work cause horn contact just goes thru to steering column if you see red wire in second video. I think he tried to fix it and someone made it worse.

I found a new column but i wish i knew what parts i should be checking on old one before buying used one.
i took steering wheel off and clockspring. I should of took picture but it looked like it was missing some pieces. any good diagram of parts that i should say"hey where is that piece?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Droc

Droc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If anyone had same problem scottydoggs was correct. There were little bearings on a metal panel i took off. So i assume that bearing broke on steering column.
Got new steering column in and way better then that broken steering wheel.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone had same problem scottydoggs was correct. There were little bearings on a metal panel i took off. So i assume that bearing broke on the steering column.
Got new steering column in and way better then that broken steering wheel.
The steering columns are so plentiful in junkyards, it does usually pay off to try and repair. Mine had several issues develop over time. The first issue was the return spring for the column shift got weak and wouldn't fully pull the lever back to the locked position. So I had to manually push the lever towards the dash to get the key out. Then one day I couldn't get the key removed and the steering wheel locked and couldn't be released. I got pissed and strong-armed the wheel, snapping the cogs that lock it. That allowed me to remove the key, but left little parts floating around inside the column. Then a little later the key would turn off the engine, but leave the A/C fan and backup camera on. So I went to the junkyard and picked up a complete column (less the airbag) for $80. Wasn't the right color but everything swapped over from mine, so that didn't matter. Swap on took about an hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep