Need some Advice on Engine tear down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AmunRoo

AmunRoo

Reaction score
Here's the update. I started everything Friday evening and this is where I'm at.

Pulled off heads and found that valves are perfect. Dropping off the heads tomorrow to get resurfaced. Installing the new LSX lifters and hardened pushrods once I get the heads back. Brand new gaskets all the way around. Cam looked perfect with absolutely no scoring on the lobes. The lifters responsible for the lifter squeal or four cylinder 8. They had very minimal pitting and it looks like they were no longer connected to the trays. Already chased the threads for all of the head mounting bolts. Cleaned off The mating surface on the block and ready to go. Cleaned off the tops of the Pistons as well. Got my arp head bolt kit ready to go as well. Any recommendation on short tube headers? I'm putting everything back together this coming weekend and I wanted to replace the headers while I'm in there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the update. I started everything Friday evening and this is where I'm at.

Pulled off heads and found that valves are perfect. Dropping off the heads tomorrow to get resurfaced. Installing the new LSX lifters and hardened pushrods once I get the heads back. Brand new gaskets all the way around. Cam looked perfect with absolutely no scoring on the lobes. The lifters responsible for the lifter squeal or four cylinder 8. They had very minimal pitting and it looks like they were no longer connected to the trays. Already chased the threads for all of the head mounting bolts. Cleaned off The mating surface on the block and ready to go. Cleaned off the tops of the Pistons as well. Got my arp head bolt kit ready to go as well. Any recommendation on short tube headers? I'm putting everything back together this coming weekend and I wanted to replace the headers while I'm in there.

I misunderstood your "tearing it down to the block". To me, that means the bare block.

You basically removed the heads and are replacing the lifters. No front cover or cam removal, etc. I'm with @NardDog- If you're able, replace the oil pump (new O-ring!), timing set, tensioner (or swap to the damper), install the shield on the pressure relief valve in the oil pan if you're keeping AFM active, cam retainer/seal, front seal, etc.

If lifters are as deep as you're going, don't forget the trays (GM OE only!). I'd also advise you get the updated VLOM (if keeping AFM active) and updated driver side valve cover.