Need ordering process explained.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sickk21

Reaction score
Just trying to give some advice to help people out.

Lots of people order a car, wait months for it to be built, and once it’s built it then sits on a lot outside the plant for a few more Months waiting on chips…meanwhile they’re already paying probably $1000+ a month in financing and they already paid their insurance premium on the vehicle. Seems foolish to me…especially if you finally get your car and there are issues
This scenario is valid. But in my case, its a vehicle already in transit. Not being built or sitting somewhere waiting for anything. There’s risks in anything in life, it’s ok if you shy away from em.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck forum i follow has quite a few trucks being damaged in transit...its about 50/50 of the dealer letting the buyer know upfront. the most recent one was a truck showing as delivered for over a week so the buyer went and checked at one of the dealer's sister store...found his truck with damage to the rear. The dealer was telling him it wasn't there but had already ordered the parts to repair it

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tidbit of info..I got in a email newlsetter yesterday..More reasons for slow delivery...

Suppliers say they got word this week that Union Pacific Railroad (UP) is reducing the number of active railcars in its systems in an effort to address mounting congestion and service-related issues in the rail networks. Shippers were asked to voluntarily reduce the number of railcars they ship and that reductions will be mandated if necessary. BNSF Railway is said to be taking similar action.

OP
OP
T

TahoeSooner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did he say about their allocations and/or what was the expected timeline to be?

Not trying to repeat some of the other posts...but all of the other info isn't relevant if you're never likely to get to the actual build/delivery stage. If your order has already been accepted by GM meaning the dealer had an allocation they were willing to allow you to use - then you can move forward...

Debbie downers they may be - but it's the reality of the GM ordering process

Not a popular idea on here - but I'd place at a minimum two orders at different dealers to better your chances of getting a vehicle in the next 12 months....if you're fine waiting then a snapshot of the process is below....

- You place the order (done) and have obtained the order #
- The order has to be accepted by GM (biggest hurdle - once you get past this stage it may still take another 3-6 months, but hopefully the end result is a vehicle whereas anything before this stage is wishful thinking)
- The six months may seem long, but there are numerous trucks built in Nov/Dec timeframe that still haven't made it to the dealer
- Once the order is accepted a TPW (target production week) is established
- It may take a few weeks before the TPW is set
- TPW will probably be anywhere from 3-10 weeks out
- The TPW can slide sooner/later - you can imagine what most are doing now
- I had an order accepted the 2nd week of Feb with a TPW of 3/14, then 3/28, then 4/18, and now 5/9
- Once it's built, it may be delayed at the plant if it needs an add-on or is missing "chips" that GM doesn't want to classify as retrofit for later
- Oklahoma should be truck ride from Arlington - so it'll sit at one of the GM lots (Midlothian is the most popular) until it gets a ride
- I currently have one that has been sitting for four (4) weeks
- If it's a train ride, then additional opportunities for issues as it has to catch a train to a regional lot/dispatch and then catch a ride finally to the dealer
- When it arrives the dealer may not tell you it arrived and/or they'll sell it to somebody offering the $8k over sticker
- Or they tell you. "sorry" but we aren't going to be able to honor our deal as the market is too strong for us to offer it to you at supplier pricing - we'll sell it to you at $5k over if you finance at least 90% of the selling price with us
- It arrives at the dealer to only have significant damage from being transported
- Hopefully the dealer will actually tell you about the damage
- The tahoe arrives and it has a 2nd row bench instead of buckets or has the 5.3 instead of the diesel
- Although the previous five seem far fetched, there are examples on this forum and others of similar instances occurring
- If the dealer comes through on your end, you'll be able to buy the high country at supplier and sell it immediately for a $10k profit if the market stays anywhere close to what it's at now
- at any point during this process, you can message GM online, call GM, or ask your dealer for order updates, there are build codes (see below) that may or may not be relayed to you during this time... the bulk of which you never hear about because the order sits at 1000, is accepted at 3000 and then it's at 4300 if you're lucky or more than likely 4B00

not trying to be a SA, just being realistic
Order has been accepted by GM. Got the call today.