Need opinion on what to do about broken headlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. The driver's side headlight is full of condensation, and now the daytime running LED no longer works. I had considered drying out the assembly and sealing the fixture to try to fix myself before the LED strip stopped working, but now that that's out, I'm more leaning towards replacing the assembly all together.

The OEM fixture is EXPENSIVE - $1,250 through the dealer, between $800-900 online (part number 84294340).

So my options are:
1) bite the bullet and buy OEM part
2) try to fix myself still
3) go aftermarket (on both sides, so they're the same)

If I were to go aftermarket, I'm concerned about quality. Are there any out there that have a high quality standard, and are also good looking?

What would you do?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look for a good used one. There are companies out there that have them.

I have an Escalade and they're expensive. Typically, half price for a used one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

iras1976

Reaction score

kiwi

Reaction score
I'd do a retrofit (basically that's what i did changing halogen low lenses to bi-led). They'll disassemble the headlight assembly, polish it inside/outside, maybe wrap with protective film outside, assemble with new sealant.
66513601_1122913754565339_7199862241584483701_n.jpg
2019-12-18 11.51.12.jpg

Mine was ~$600 in total including bileds themselves, but your pricing may vary.
Maybe additional cost for repairing/changing leds, but i assume it's a simple led strip, so there should be no problems changing it.

DavesLEDrepair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. The driver's side headlight is full of condensation, and now the daytime running LED no longer works. I had considered drying out the assembly and sealing the fixture to try to fix myself before the LED strip stopped working, but now that that's out, I'm more leaning towards replacing the assembly all together.

The OEM fixture is EXPENSIVE - $1,250 through the dealer, between $800-900 online (part number 84294340).

So my options are:
1) bite the bullet and buy OEM part
2) try to fix myself still
3) go aftermarket (on both sides, so they're the same)

If I were to go aftermarket, I'm concerned about quality. Are there any out there that have a high quality standard, and are also good looking?

What would you do?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Curious to what you did? If you did replace your lights I would be interested your light that doesn’t work . I would like to see if I can fix it . I believe it’s a common problem for these running lights to go bad due to the condensation getting in. However I have not found one I could try to fix. So if you did replace yours and you still have your broken one let me know I would love to try and repair it!
Dave
(801) 400-0419

Last edited:

cdolson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I realize this post is a few years old - but I was curious if you can post an update/fix?

I have the same issue with my 2015 Yukon XL Denali. Condensation in the passenger side headlight assembly and the DRL go ON and OFF intermittently.

I am planning on taking my headlight assembly out - taking it apart and then see if I can fix/reseal. If not I’ll simply buy a new one but would like to save the $$. Especially since I know the DRL still work on some level - they go on some days when it ’feels like it’ haha

If anyone has tips or solutions on this please add to this thread.

Much Appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I realize this post is a few years old - but I was curious if you can post an update/fix?

I have the same issue with my 2015 Yukon XL Denali. Condensation in the passenger side headlight assembly and the DRL go ON and OFF intermittently.

I am planning on taking my headlight assembly out - taking it apart and then see if I can fix/reseal. If not I’ll simply buy a new one but would like to save the $$. Especially since I know the DRL still work on some level - they go on some days when it ’feels like it’ haha

Much Appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

You are not going to be able to disassemble the light housing/assembly. It is a housing and sealed. You can dry out and attempt to reseal but that is it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Much Appreciated.
usually the housings are heated in a oven to be able to get them open but not sure on these newer larger integrated units, you might try researching more about it before attempting it otherwise you could just melt the whole thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt