Need new shocks - best recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
thanks. You replaced the rear with the nivomats?
No, at 1st I used KYB Excels with the Nivomat springs. The stock springs were too soft and the KYB Excels are garbage. I had them on maybe a month, then literally threw them in the garbage. Bought some lowering springs and got some Bilstein 4600s from a fellow member. Rides way better.

03X2

Reaction score
No, at 1st I used KYB Excels with the Nivomat springs. The stock springs were too soft and the KYB Excels are garbage. I had them on maybe a month, then literally threw them in the garbage. Bought some lowering springs and got some Bilstein 4600s from a fellow member. Rides way better.
Thanks for the info. I looked through your build, incredible, especially the 6.0 swap!! Ive been giving some thought to lowering my ‘03 Tahoe 2WD that has the Nivomats. You mentioned purchasing an ‘inexpensive’, but couldn’t find what you used……

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I looked through your build, incredible, especially the 6.0 swap!! Ive been giving some thought to lowering my ‘03 Tahoe 2WD that has the Nivomats. You mentioned purchasing an ‘inexpensive’, but couldn’t find what you used……
Thanks!
I bought a lowering setup from Crownsuspension.com. It came with lowering keys instead of spindles. It's not the best kit out there but I was on a budget, and it rides fine for me. Is this what you're referring to specifically? Or are you asking about shocks?

03X2

Reaction score

03X2

Reaction score
Thanks!
I bought a lowering setup from Crownsuspension.com. It came with lowering keys instead of spindles. It's not the best kit out there but I was on a budget, and it rides fine for me. Is this what you're referring to specifically? Or are you asking about shocks?
Both actually, also, did you do the install yourself?

03X2

Reaction score
Thanks!
did you use the 2”, 3”, or 4” lowering kit?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Both actually, also, did you do the install yourself?
The 1st cheap shocks I bought were the KYB Excels. I used those with the original Nivomat springs--which are way too soft for non Nivomat shocks. At highway speeds the ride was actually scary. The back end would sway side to side. I wasn't the only one that had issues with those KYBs. Complete garbage! Don't waste your money. Iirc I went with the 2/3" drop from crownsuspension.com. came with rear lowering springs, rear shock relocation brackets and front keys. I had someone install it for me, but if your handy you could do it yourself, not very hard at all. You will need a special tool for the front keys iirc. It's been a few years and my memory is a little fuzzy, but it's pretty simple to do. Imo the best/budget shocks to use on these rigs are the Bilstein 4600s. Worth the money. IMAG1300001_1541794293671_001.jpg
Nivomat next to the KYB Excel--huge difference. 20181203_162443.jpg
Bilstein 4600s.20210507_153141.jpg20210507_153147.jpg
My rear setup now. You can see the rear shock extension bracket that comes with the lowering kit.
You can also see the rear Hellwig adjustable sway bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts