Need it as quiet as possible without choking the flow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may check out the fte resonators.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may check out the fte resonators.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just checked those out. Thanks for the lead.
Being for Diesels, those are way too big for my application. But, they're the corkscrew/auger style I've been looking at. You can buy just the auger inserts for cheap. What I've found so far is they seem to be a cheap and simple but effective design. I may toss one of these into the mix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Actually, I'm gonna see if they have a ~21"-22" version with center inlet and outlet. That'd give me about 40" of my current muffler...

AP Exhaust has their XS2579 that is a clone of the Magnaflow 12579. This is the same as the MF 12589 that we use as the "almost stock" replacement but with a center in/center out arrangement. So, it's a 5" x 11" body, 22" long with 3" centered inlet and outlets. The AP is virtually identical to the MF, but $84 cheaper. It'll complement the MF 12259 clone (XS1259) I have now and essentially give me 40" of that muffler. If there's any length of straight section left, I may toss an auger in there for good measure. A 3" x 11" auger insert (Patriot H3844) is only $23 on Amazon.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AP XS2579 muffler and Patriot H3844 insert ordered!

Now to check my inventory for 3" pipe...

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing how that patriot insert changes the sound.

I'm not so sure I'm gonna use it. I get that it's basically like adding in a baffled muffler, but it may be too restrictive. I've even considered trimming the spirals in some spots to give it some straight flow, but that might make it ineffective. Trimming it might also induce turbulence more so than just redirecting the exhaust flow, and doing more harm than good.

I like to test things where possible and my current thoughts on it are to stick it in a length of scrap 3" exhaust tubing, chop off my exhaust tip, and stick the scrap tubing over that to make some before and after comparison vids. I won't be able to test power gains or losses, just sound. Well, I might could monitor the MAF and MAP sensors to see if there's any distinguishable differences. That'd give me some sort of idea of power changes.

TBRUCE312

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not so sure I'm gonna use it. I get that it's basically like adding in a baffled muffler, but it may be too restrictive. I've even considered trimming the spirals in some spots to give it some straight flow, but that might make it ineffective. Trimming it might also induce turbulence more so than just redirecting the exhaust flow, and doing more harm than good.

I like to test things where possible and my current thoughts on it are to stick it in a length of scrap 3" exhaust tubing, chop off my exhaust tip, and stick the scrap tubing over that to make some before and after comparison vids. I won't be able to test power gains or losses, just sound. Well, I might could monitor the MAF and MAP sensors to see if there's any distinguishable differences. That'd give me some sort of idea of power changes.
There's a guy on YouTube that compared it to a straight pipe and tested air flow. Wasn't much difference.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a guy on YouTube that compared it to a straight pipe and tested air flow. Wasn't much difference.

Now why didn't I think to look it up on YT... Thanks for the lead!

I'd still like to test the sound difference, though. Unless I can hear it well enough in a YT video.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think I found the vid you were referencing:

For this resonator:

haust-muffler-race-diesel-resonator-5-in-18-long-4.jpg

Only 10 CFM loss at over 1,100 CFM. I don't know how relevant it is to the Patriot insert since the Patriot has a step after each 360° turn whereas the FLO-PRO is a continuous helix. Also, the FLO-PRO in the video is a 4" and my Patriot is 3", but that's still well over the needs of a 5.3.

There aren't many reviews on it and most were Diesel guys. Watching that vid led me down a wormhole of Diesel vids with and without the resonator. Apparently, while very effective at killing drone on a straight-piped Diesel, it's also restrictive on high-powered Diesels. That is completely irrelevant to us since they're much larger displacement engines that are turbo'ed.

Scaling it back to our world:

CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency ÷ 3456

323 x 6000 x .85 ÷ 3456

1,938,000 x .85 = 1,647,300

1,647,300 ÷ 3456 = 476.65

So, figuring with an overestimated VE of 85%, our 5.3s are moving 476 CFM at redline. From what I've seen so far, that 3" Patriot insert shouldn't hurt the flow much at all at this level of CFM but should still have a noticeable effect on the sound.

...Testing it "on paper" is fun and all but I'm still gonna try to "real world" test it. I like comparison vids with minimal variables.

TBRUCE312

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I found the vid you were referencing:

For this resonator:

haust-muffler-race-diesel-resonator-5-in-18-long-4.jpg

Only 10 CFM loss at over 1,100 CFM. I don't know how relevant it is to the Patriot insert since the Patriot has a step after each 360° turn whereas the FLO-PRO is a continuous helix. Also, the FLO-PRO in the video is a 4" and my Patriot is 3", but that's still well over the needs of a 5.3.

There aren't many reviews on it and most were Diesel guys. Watching that vid led me down a wormhole of Diesel vids with and without the resonator. Apparently, while very effective at killing drone on a straight-piped Diesel, it's also restrictive on high-powered Diesels. That is completely irrelevant to us since they're much larger displacement engines that are turbo'ed.

Scaling it back to our world:

CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency ÷ 3456

323 x 6000 x .85 ÷ 3456

1,938,000 x .85 = 1,647,300

1,647,300 ÷ 3456 = 476.65

So, figuring with an overestimated VE of 85%, our 5.3s are moving 476 CFM at redline. From what I've seen so far, that 3" Patriot insert shouldn't hurt the flow much at all at this level of CFM but should still have a noticeable effect on the sound.

...Testing it "on paper" is fun and all but I'm still gonna try to "real world" test it. I like comparison vids with minimal variables.
Yep that's the one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B