Need Help with Tahoe Generations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJaimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to buy a 2000-2006 Tahoe because I've always liked that generation's body style. I hope to have some fun and customize it with some off-road upgrades and a kickass stereo system.

I've only owned one Tahoe several years ago (1996 LT) and I haven't kept up with the the pros/cons of the different generations of Tahoes?

Can someone give me the down and dirty of the different Tahoe styles through the years.

How do the engines compare in terms of power and torque and reliability?
Are there any big problems associated w/ different gen's engines or trannys?
What huge improvements did Chevy offer with the post 2007 models?

I guess I'm just making sure I'm not missing out on huge advantages of newer models if I shop for older ones.

Edit: I should've added that I want to pull a travel trailer with the tahoe. No bigger than 16-19', but will that generation tow trailers of that size pretty easily?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. When you get your rig post some pics please.

I own a 2002 Tahoe LT, as seen in my signature, and could not be happier. It is the most comfortable generation to me by far. Has less crap to deal with as in the newer models and at one time I was thinking about a newer generation and found out immediately that whether it was the 2007 to 2014, NNBS or the 2015 to 2020, was just not comfortable to me. Plus I see constant problems posted here with those generations. They are great rigs and other members here will step up and tell you so but not for me. I even prefer the Tahoe over the Yukon for the looks. To each his own though. My 5.3 engine has all the power I need. I am at 163k miles and it runs like a top. Good luck in your search and as you focus in on one, let us know with any questions you may have. It is also going to matter as to the plans you have for using it.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2005-2006 is going to be the better of the nbs range, if you don't want any kind of nannies tpms, traction control, etc, then shoot for the 2000-2003 range

OP
OP
C

CJaimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. When you get your rig post some pics please.

I own a 2002 Tahoe LT, as seen in my signature, and could not be happier. It is the most comfortable generation to me by far. Has less crap to deal with as in the newer models and at one time I was thinking about a newer generation and found out immediately that whether it was the 2007 to 2014, NNBS or the 2015 to 2020, was just not comfortable to me. Plus I see constant problems posted here with those generations. They are great rigs and other members here will step up and tell you so but not for me. I even prefer the Tahoe over the Yukon for the looks. To each his own though. My 5.3 engine has all the power I need. I am at 163k miles and it runs like a top. Good luck in your search and as you focus in on one, let us know with any questions you may have. It is also going to matter as to the plans you have for using it.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Thank you! I definitely will and your Tahoe looks sweet!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, nbs? What is that?
the generation you inquired about 00-06 is nbs, 07-14 is nnbs
pre-99 is obs, there were some made in 00 that were obs so if you end up with a 00 nbs then always order parts for a 01 because even the parts guys get confused and might sell you the wrong part.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The 2000 to 2006 years are the New Body Style and the 2007 to 2014 are the NNBS= New New Body Style.

I posted the answer and saw that Wes is too fast for me.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think the 2015 to 2020 is just called the 4th generation. Don't want one so don't know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts