Need heat!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your, too efficient, analogy may be spot on. Try using a piece of cardboard and put in front of the radiator on the grill and tie it off some how. Then drive it and watch the engine temp to make sure it does not get too high. See if is warmer at stops. Is the fan clutch new as well?
That’s what I’m thinking, I’m running 05 Chevy fans, they’re adjustable so maybe I should just turn them up so they’ll kick on at a higher temp duh, don’t know why I didn’t think of that til just now [emoji2375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, it would have helped, in the very beginning, to share all the new parts and the upgrade to electric fans, to help with the, "figure the ****** out", problem.

At speed on the highway, and more flow from the water pump, you really don't need a fan at all, but with a new rad and thermo and then fans on at slow speed and idle, it may be blowing all that heat out at the radiator before it gets to your heater core.

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it would have helped, in the very beginning, to share all the new parts and the upgrade to electric fans, to help with the, "figure the ****** out", problem.

At speed on the highway, and more flow from the water pump, you really don't need a fan at all, but with a new rad and thermo and then fans on at slow speed and idle, it may be blowing all that heat out at the radiator before it gets to your heater core.
Sorry, the fans have been on for so long it’s normal for me, and kinda hard to list every single little thing I’ve changed or upgraded. Also I’ve learned if you give too much info right off the bat, then it tends to help less, because if there is something I missed during the course of me trying to figure it out first, you guys bring a whole new perspective. Thanks for the help though, completely forgot about the fan adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may be way off base here, but I'm wondering if the OE radiators have the restriction in the line to the surge tank, like the NBS trucks do. If they do, and the radiator was changed, maybe the new radiator doesn't have that restriction in the line? That can keep the engine temp from coming up to spec.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I may be way off base here, but I'm wondering if the OE radiators have the restriction in the line to the surge tank, like the NBS trucks do. If they do, and the radiator was changed, maybe the new radiator doesn't have that restriction in the line? That can keep the engine temp from coming up to spec.

I thought about the same thing when I was asking about the radiator being new or not. A quick way to check is to put a small hose clamp on the surge tank line and then tighten a little to restrict flow but don't shut off flow completely. See if that does the trick. Thanks @Fless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC