Navigation system just stopped working ......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Cronin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT about a month ago and the navigation system has been working fine. All of sudden this weekend it shows the vehicle about 10 miles away from where we are and it's not showing the roads correctly.

Shouldn't the navigation system work even if we don't have an Onstar account? When I looked in the manual for help with the navigation system it just makes reference to Onstar. Since it's a 2015 I don't know if it has the Carplay feature that has been mentioned in other threads about navigation systems.

Was thinking of taking the vehicle to a Chevy dealership with this question but thought I would check with the experts first. Thanks.

Paul

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT about a month ago and the navigation system has been working fine. All of sudden this weekend it shows the vehicle about 10 miles away from where we are and it's not showing the roads correctly.

Shouldn't the navigation system work even if we don't have an Onstar account? When I looked in the manual for help with the navigation system it just makes reference to Onstar. Since it's a 2015 I don't know if it has the Carplay feature that has been mentioned in other threads about navigation systems.

Was thinking of taking the vehicle to a Chevy dealership with this question but thought I would check with the experts first. Thanks.

Paul

The GPS antenna may have failed, either way something is up. There may be internal trouble codes if something related to the navigation unit has gone awry. If not, the unit would have to be replaced. There are companies that can repair your unit or replace it, they have websites and advertise their services on ebay if you're so inclined.

OP
OP
Paul Cronin

Paul Cronin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The GPS antenna may have failed, either way something is up. There may be internal trouble codes if something related to the navigation unit has gone awry. If not, the unit would have to be replaced. There are companies that can repair your unit or replace it, they have websites and advertise their services on ebay if you're so inclined.

Thanks for the input..... forgot to mention something else that happened Sat. When we got in the vehicle and started it up we noticed the clock had defaulted to 12:00 AM on Jan. 1st. So I'm thinking I also have a battery issue. Not sure if the battery is failing it would effect the navigation system.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all cables especially grounds. If your not in a snow area it shouldn’t corrode that quickly but you never know and it doesn’t cost anything. I’m not sure how many ground connections the K2XX has. James?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input..... forgot to mention something else that happened Sat. When we got in the vehicle and started it up we noticed the clock had defaulted to 12:00 AM on Jan. 1st. So I'm thinking I also have a battery issue. Not sure if the battery is failing it would effect the navigation system.

Check all cables especially grounds. If your not in a snow area it shouldn’t corrode that quickly but you never know and it doesn’t cost anything. I’m not sure how many ground connections the K2XX has. James?

Not sure how many. I would be suspect of the battery. How old is it now Paul? Even if fairly new, a bad cell can be hard to detect and drive you and the computer systems crazy.

Do you use Flow GMC up in Winston-Salem? When I was there they treated me right, even stayed late.

OP
OP
Paul Cronin

Paul Cronin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure how many. I would be suspect of the battery. How old is it now Paul? Even if fairly new, a bad cell can be hard to detect and drive you and the computer systems crazy.

Do you use Flow GMC up in Winston-Salem? When I was there they treated me right, even stayed late.

We just got the vehicle in February. My wife is taking it in tomorrow to have the battery checked. Glad to know you had a good experience with Flow in Winston-Salem. Have been reluctant to take it to a dealership. Might give them a try.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got the vehicle in February. My wife is taking it in tomorrow to have the battery checked. Glad to know you had a good experience with Flow in Winston-Salem. Have been reluctant to take it to a dealership. Might give them a try.

Good. Rick Baxter, the service writer, is still there as is the parts lady, Jennifer Crow. The mechanic who worked on my truck was competent and a thorough worker too, don't remember his name.

They have a special on a new battery with installation, $179.99, we had the same deal down here at that price with the next best battery recently. I have that battery now that they are selling and has never let me down. It was getting tired and weak at 42 months and a special tool I posted about recently has restored it to like new condition, still going strong.

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace the battery, even if it shows fine on a load test. I experienced a ton of random issues like this and the battery appeared fine on basic tests. Replaced and many of them went away immediately. I even argued with the dealer that there was no way it could be the battery.