Navigation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lrg51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2018 Chevy Tahoe LT - Do I need to subscribe to OnStar to use navigation system? I see that I can purchase a Navigation update from GM that is compatible. Is this all I need to use the nav system?

Obviously I am confused. I will appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi Larry, I also have an '18 LT without navigation. From what I learned, yes, we have to subscribe to Onstar to simply even display the OEM map app. As for purchasing a navigation update from GM, sorry, I have no idea about any of that. I just use Apple Carplay when I need maps/navigation.

John Day

Reaction score
2018 Chevy Tahoe LT - Do I need to subscribe to OnStar to use navigation system? I see that I can purchase a Navigation update from GM that is compatible. Is this all I need to use the nav system?

Obviously I am confused. I will appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.
I just purchased the update, it comes on a USB stick. I don't know about your question, but there are plenty of guys here who do! I would think they are 2 separate issues, but that is logical so maybe not.....
The update is on sale with free shipping right now...

Joeltz

Reaction score
I just purchased the update, it comes on a USB stick. I don't know about your question, but there are plenty of guys here who do! I would think they are 2 separate issues, but that is logical so maybe not.....
The update is on sale with free shipping right now...
John I just got the Navigation up grade notice from Chevy . did you notice improvement… what was better ?

John Day

Reaction score
John I just got the Navigation up grade notice from Chevy . did you notice improvement… what was better ?only improvement I notice is all the new streets being built are on the map now. My nav works great just like always

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting in 2015ish (earlier I think), GM went to a 2 tier navigation system. One that was powered strictly by On-Star, and the upgraded version that was a stand alone, with no On-Star required. The stand alone was more expensive.

Last edited:

John Day

Reaction score
You can also use your phone in car play on cars with that option. I know preaching to the choir.

Joeltz

Reaction score
John I just got the Navigation up grade notice from Chevy . did you notice improvement… what was better ?
John how is the update for Navigation ?
My z is a 2015 I’m getting it in a day or so.

John Day

Reaction score
I've owned RAM's for the last 17 years, they had good nav.
my Yukon has excellent far and away better nav than the RAM.
Both upgrades come from the same company. GMC did it right! IMO, but who am I?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore