Nav radio upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08z71bgm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious....what is the difference between the two nav HU. I have nav in 08. DVD in second row. I would rather upgrade to an alpine unit and retain dvd playback for the rear. Really wonder what is the benefit of the later oem model vs an aftermarket upgrade and get AA/CarPlay as well.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious....what is the difference between the two nav HU. I have nav in 08. DVD in second row. I would rather upgrade to an alpine unit and retain dvd playback for the rear. Really wonder what is the benefit of the later oem model vs an aftermarket upgrade and get AA/CarPlay as well.
I did upgrade to 2012 + just for factory looks. Money is better spent on aftermarket imo

OP
OP
Luie

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand if you didn’t have nav and wanted factory nav. Either way you suggest swapping for aftermarket huh?

To me if you are not in a hurry to make this swap you can take your time and find a GM nav radio usually pretty cheap. When I made this swap in my truck I think I ended up with about 200$ in it. Since I took my time it didnt hit the ole pocket book hard all at once.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand if you didn’t have nav and wanted factory nav. Either way you suggest swapping for aftermarket huh?
If you want aa/ CarPlay etc, access to torque pro app etc... yes. Factory look then oem. I guess it’s a personal choice.... my opinion anyway....

XJ_eep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone here installed a Kenwood 7 with Bose and Navigation?
Does it still function properly with the 2nd and 3rd row DVD screens?
Can you get the right adapters for it to mate with the steering wheel controls?
Does it have an input that I could connect to wirelessly via a WiFi link in order to screen cast to the rear screen tv's?
Is there any head unit out there that does do all these things and I'm missing it?
I'm looking at the Kenwood 7 because it seems to be the closest to giving me all the options I want while still having Android Auto.

OP
OP
Luie

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got two newer radios now. Also picked up an AutoSync from BTDieselworks that can do an un-vinlock. Plus tons of other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak