Nav acting odd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mathnerd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up an '08 Avalanche LTZ with factory nav and it seems to be misbehaving. After a destination is entered you get the "proceed to the highlighted route" message and then you dont get any more voice prompts. I made sure that voice prompts are turned on and the volume is set where you can hear it. Also the screen generally shows the truck going backwards down the road. It seems to know where the truck is but not which direction it is facing. I have confirmed that I have anywhere from 5 to 9 satellites locked.
I am not sure where to proceed from here. I accessed the diagnostics menu and tried a reset of the DVD but didnt see any differences.

Hopefully someone here can give some recommendations.

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
Maybe whoever had it before you installed the oem nav themselves, but didnt put a vss harness in when they did the install...I would pull the nav and look at the backside and see if you have a plug in I believe the last connector on the right if your looking at the back of it (if installed after the truck left the lot, most likely it that connector is brown and has one green wire coming out of it). I could be totally wrong but seems like your missing the vss harness kit, or maybe you need a new gps antenna...not sure. :/

OP
OP
Mathnerd

Mathnerd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nav is factory, I checked the RPO's in the glovebox.
I am going to check all the connectors on the back of the radio just to be sure nothing has come loose.

OP
OP
Mathnerd

Mathnerd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. I just pulled the nav out of the dash and lo and behold the green wire is pushed back out of the connector by about 1/8". I pushed it back in and everything works as it should.
There is evidence that someone has been back there before so I am guessing somebody did this on purpose. Why would you want your navigation system to not navigate?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Steven. I haven't heard of anyone not wanting to use the factory nav and going as far as to unplugging something... that is very strange and definitely not normal.

Wow good call on the VSS wire Ryan!

ranorris2

The Coolest
Reaction score
You cant just push it back in...you need to pull the plug off and there is a pin or something, if I remember right, that you need to pull out, then push the green wire back in, then push that pin back in to lock the wire in...this will insure it doesnt happen again.

OP
OP
Mathnerd

Mathnerd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did make sure the pin was locked into the connector shell.
That was part of what makes me think someone did this on purpose. Either that or the connector was not assembled correctly at the factory and the pin pushed out when it was initially connected which means the nav has not worked properly since new.