Mystery misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First time poster here, im typically on the powerstroke forums, mustang forums.

Picked up a 2004 suburban with the flex fuel 5.3, slight misfire. Pued the code, p0300, multiple misfire. Watching the misfire counter on the scanner cylinder 6 is consistant, with an occasional cylinder 5 hiccup. Here is what ive done so far...
1. Changed all plugs, lots of mismatched, mis gapped plugs
2. Swapped coil packs 6 and 4, misfire stayed on 6.
3. Swapped plug wires, same story
4. Verified injector operation, with noid light
5. Compression test, checked out at about 125psi.
6. Sprayed down looking for vacuum leaks, didnt find any.
7. Disconnected pcv valve, plugged off lines while running, sprayed fum cutter into oil fill under pressure, idle fluttered slightly. Per the chevrolet bulletin, that tells me intake gasket failure. R&R intake gasket, no change.
8. Pressurized the cylinder, no leakage
9. Removed valve cover and turned engine over by hand, to verify rockers were moving appropriately, they are, verified with running engine with valve cover off...
10. Tried another known good MAF because the truck was sitting next to this one, no change
11. Hooked up vacuum gauge, verified engine is making 22 pounds at idle

Still a misfire, still on 6, only at idle, and seems as though its making it idle low, but pcm desired is 599rpm, its idling right around that.

Anything I may be overlooking? Im ready to pull my hair out on this one

Tdoa

Reaction score
I just had the same problem. Pull the plug on the ecm/ecu whatever it’s called. Mine got water in it and had corrosion. Cleaned it up best I could and light has been off for like a month.

OP
OP
S

Stroked

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
swapped injectors, problem doesnt follow the injector, it stays at cylinder 6. I'll have to check the ecm plug, i thought about that, i traced the harness looking for chafing or damage and didnt see any...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts