Mysterious (to me) fluid leak driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freaking Hector.

Question: is there something on the driver's side of the engine near the motor mount or higher that would leak fluid?

I go to get the kids from school today, notice a light brown puddle stain/remnant on driveway. Tahoe is the only thing that parks on this side of driveway...hmmm

Another puddle a few feet back (from parking there). These are new within the last 3 days at most.

Check underneath and there is brown liquid dripping from crossmember and splashed on front diff. Water like consistency, but reddish color like GA clay, also is a bit sticky after working between fingers.

It looks to be pooling on top of the diff from higher up, but AFAIK there isn't anything up there except a motor mount and exhaust manifold. Engine oil looks smells fine, for most part (nearing change period) and if this is engine oil it isn't how it looks on the dipstick.

Not running poorly, no lights, etc. Trans has recently developed an intermittent flare, but not sure how that could be related to drivers side anything.

Again, looks to be concentrated near back/top of front diff. Also I drive around in 2wd selected so the front diff shouldn't be doing shit anyway...unless it's cracked somewhere and spitting? Idk, it's higher up than the diff. Tough to get pics but tried (from bottom to top). Just look for the brown liquid lol. Maybe oil shooting out of left side of pan from bad gasket?

20220505_152911.jpg

20220505_152917.jpg

20220505_153428.jpg

20220505_153625.jpg

20220505_152945.jpg

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@89Suburban Lol are u taking the piss?

Also, wife who mainly drives at this point, when I tell her what I found today,"yeeeah, you know I saw that yesterday and thought it looked odd..."

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motor mount? I read on here some are liquid filled.
Holy fking chit...they are filled with liquid!!!

Never in my entire life of working on things would I have ever known that or thought it not to be akin to blinker fluid. Wow. U win the month of may.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace it with one for the passenger side of a Hummer. Not liquid filled, all rubber.
Prolly just go straight delrin all around. Relive my racecar days lol

I remember how absolutely pissed my wife was when I replaced my motor mounts with delrin (and my transmission mount with a solid plate from trz). That car sounded awesome but BOY was it aggressive for a daily lol. Couldn't keep change in the center console because it would bounce around like crazy. Great fun...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for leaking engine mount and +1 for replacing it with the passenger side mount of a V8 Hummer H3. I'd recommend getting two of those mounts and replacing both.

Don't worry- it's nothing that has to be done immediately. Just know that if you feel and maybe even hear a clunk that sounds like it's coming from behind you when accelerating from a stop, it's likely that mount getting sloppy. If you drive easily and don't tow, you might can let it ride for a year or two before it gets bad enough to have slack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518