My Tahoe Mods - 98 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the 98 Tahoe as a functional tow rig/camper, for occasional use. The operative word is ‘functional’. Last year that is what it was used as but now slowly (as a direct result of reading this forum), the Tahoe has been getting more attention than I want it to. I keep wondering if this is another slippery slope into the proverbial hobby $$ pit, the same path my Jeep took me. I am writing this thread so that as to remind me of the mods done so far, and to query the experienced, who has walked this path can steer me from the common pitfalls, so in rough chronological order, the mods are

- The rear sagged when i hitched my trailer onto it, so i added a leaf to the pack. I recommend this as it now stands up to the tongue weight. Perked up the rear too.
- While working under the truck I realized it was rusty all over. So, I got a Krown Rust Treatment done, my driveway is a mess with the dripping but the truck stopped squeaking. I am happy with this treatment and I have topped it up again this year.
- I also noticed that the rear diff cover was rusted to ***** … So in my infinite wisdom, I sprayed WD40 all over. Not the best idea as it helped to release the rust and the bolts and the damn thing started to leak. SO I had to replace the cover. There were scary moments as the bolt heads were badly rusted and I had to be very careful removing them. Tip: I used a size smaller socket, tapped it in with a hammer and undid the bolts. This worked for me not sure if it will for you.
- The trailer wiring (truck side) was a red neck job, so i cleaned it all up with harnesses etc and tucked it into the rear bumper for a professional look.
- The 8 under the hood lacked 'umph', so i got a BB Tune done. Mind you the ODO meter indicates 265k (km) but Justin woke the beast up and now it tows like a dream. WOT is scary to say the least. (for you inquiring minds, I drove down to Washington DC and met up with Justin in person, job was done in 2 hours.)
- On the recommendation of Justin i added a k&N filter. Did not see huge performance gains IMO, but psychologically i feel better that the engine is breathing better.
- Replaced the soccer mum 265/75/16 Michelins with BFG AT 285/70/16, on stock rims. Looking for some after market backspaced rims now, anyone?
- A truck is nothing without tunes, the factory CD player was DOA. So I removed it and replaced it with a USA SPEC Ipod integrator. Picked myself a broken 30Gb IPOD and permanently fixed it. We are rocking now.
- The lights are a miserable failure in these trucks. So i added drive fogs/lights up front and while i was at it added two more for the rear for camping/unloading/hitch work in the dark etc. I am a night driver, especially when i am towing and now can see more of the road (and occasional wild life). I located the switches in the center console so that I did not have to move my arm too much to turn 'em On and Off.
- Given the towing and time spent on the pavement, I added a Cobra 29 WXNSST CB Radio. On a clear night I speak to US truckers (I live on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario). A plus again to get to know another language. The CB lingo is strange! I mounted the unit in front of the OBS Centre console (see Pic). At this moment, I use a magnetic antenna but hope to make it permanent on the roof rack, in the future
- The rear hatch wiper was DOA with the plastic spider gear all worn off. You cannot repair these motors, believe me the cheap bugger in me tried. In the end, I replaced it with a new motor and a wiper arm (from a Jeep), they all fit and it is working well.
- AC was also DOA, front and rear. When pressurized it, it leaked, from the lines going to the rear. So I capped the lines with a barbed air insert. Not sure if this holds as I have not pressurized the system yet. I will update this when done. If this does not hold, I will try the Swage locks as mentioned in another thread, they are a few bones more than I want to spend.
- My dash has a mind of its own. For the life of me and my research I cannot figure why the tach and the speedometer reads way above what it should. See thread for more details. So I added a old Garmin GPS on top of the CB so that I know how fast/slow I am going, so as not to get honked too often. When the funds allow I am hoping to get a “Scan Gauge II” and eliminate the GPS.
- All these extras require battery power, I found that the hard way when I left a door slightly ajar over night. So I added a dual battery setup to mitigate that error. This write up helped me immensely and I Thank all the authors. I went with Gauge 4 wire from a Hi Fi shop / Solenoid (I have used these for winches before) from the RV section / and a Optima Red top as the aux battery. Cheap and cheerful it has held up so far.
- I had bought a Garvin Safari Hood Rack for my Jeep but never got round to adding it as I could not have got it in the garage. So the other day I put it all together and tried it on the Tahoe. I did not have the brackets to attaché said rack to the Tahoe factory railing. Garvin wanted my new born for a set. So I put my metal working skills to the test n came up with the brackets and viola the rack is now on the Tahoe. Comments are welcome. I do have 5 light points, 1 CB antenna point, shovel/axe bracket and the Hi-lift bracket. When all these things are on it should look good. Mounting lights will take some time (I don’t have any spare lying around), but when the others are done I will post some pics.
-
-
Still in the plans
- The dive action when breaking indicates that the shocks need replacing, I picked up some Reflex shocks, need to put them on.
- Wet front driver side carpet,
- Wheels with some backspacing to make em flush with body
- Squeaky internal fan at 1
- Hitch receiver behind the plates, thinking of mounting a plate between the tow hooks up front to support a 2”x2” hitch receiver behind the front plates. When needed i drop the Plates (use a Jeep wrangler rear plate mount with spring) and use the hitch. This is mainly for the use of the Winch.
- I am looking for a hood bug deflector if anyone has one for sale.

Constructive comments are welcome. I have added some pics to better illustrate what i have done. if specifics are needed, do call out. Hope this helps others who are embarking on some of these mods.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 278
OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cont ...
- Dual battery setup
- where i routed the wires into the cabin
- Rear hitch cleanup and lights
- Hoe as it stands now
- The rear holding up with the extra leaf (those are 285/75/16 on stock rims)

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 023-S.jpg
    023-S.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 224
  • TheFleet.jpg
    TheFleet.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 295

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coo, Coo

What year is your Jeep? Nice lil toy! Buddy has a 78 running on propane!

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

With all the towing you do and your on off road guy, why not rancho?

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! That's a nice setup! Nice looking Jeep too! I miss my Jeep days....

Damn fine job your doing!

Yup, I also blame this forum for taking me down the modding my Kon route...hehehe I don't have my Jeep anymore, so I might as well mod my Yukon!

I like the roof rack! Good job on the fabricating the mounts!

I had the exact same Cobra...I just recently upgraded to the RCI 2950, and yup those CB'rs have their own lingo! I use mine mostly for listening to where the bears have their bear traps setup!

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Jeep?
With all the towing you do and your on off road guy, why not rancho?

- after much researching i found that the 'Reflex' were the best from a Price/performance point for the tahoe. Note that it is based on writeups and not personal experience. I will know in time.
- On the Jeep i use 'Gas Magnum Monroe's, again from a Price/Performance point it was the winner. Of course i beat on it as it is a trailer queen and they have held up so far.
- The frame of the jeep is 89, but everything else now is a mish-mash of parts, added over the years, through necessity, a 10 year never ending project.

99Yuk - I am gonna check on the RCI2950 as i am due for a change in the Jeep CB. Let me know if you have any hints/pit falls in the CB arena.

CB folks: How/through where do you route the antenna cable out of the cab? Right now i have it through the door edge but don't think it is a good idea permenantly.

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I run a General Lee (same as the Connex HP) and a permanent mount antenna (Wilson 1000). Antenna hole is drilled just forward of the last cross brace in the roof (~18" forward of CHMSL) and the coax runs between the roof and headliner to the passenger A-pillar, through the dash to the center console.

Since you're running a magnetic mount, your options are limited with the coax run. Prior to running the permanent mount, I ran my coax out the passenger door and zip-tied it to roof rack.

Not that you need them, but just to give another suggestion/perspective on the shocks - check out Edelbrock's IAS Performer shocks. I've been very pleased with them.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99Yuk - I am gonna check on the RCI2950 as i am due for a change in the Jeep CB. Let me know if you have any hints/pit falls in the CB arena.

CB folks: How/through where do you route the antenna cable out of the cab? Right now i have it through the door edge but don't think it is a good idea permenantly.

Hmmm, hints/pitfalls? Ok, try this one... Dont say on air '10-4 good buddy!'.....:Big Laugh:
You can get yourself a linear amp to really punch up the travel distance. I have a 250watt amp and it goes good. Not so good when the other person doesn't have one, and you can't hear him though.

I have a k40 mag mount mounted to the center of the roof behind my 2m 3/4 length mag mount. Both cables run through the door. It's held up for over two years so far...I don't mind it.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
- After a another road trip found that one of the fogs had a small hole right through the lense, it was dead, so i replaced it with a spare i had
- After a dead battery situation (thanks to the dual battery setup i was not stranded), the primary battery was found to be dead and apparently was running on the aux, so hoping to swap it to a marine battery that i found for cheap $$
- Note to myself - I have to attend to the 'driver side wet carpet' syndrome

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Wet carpet syndrome is resolved. the leak was found to be coming from the top horizontal bead of the windshield. Short term fix: taped it with some electrical tape and the leak stopped.

Full thread details here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel