My Resto-Mod Odyssey - '08 Tahoe LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a nicer-than-expected year-end bonus. Haven't dropped any real money on my Tahoe in quite a while other than maintenance items. Maybe it's time to add LED taillights assemblies and/or level her with a 1.5" level kit.

What are pros & cons of an upper-strut level spacer vs an under-the-strut spacer other than cost?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a nicer-than-expected year-end bonus. Haven't dropped any real money on my Tahoe in quite a while other than maintenance items. Maybe it's time to add LED taillights assemblies and/or level her with a 1.5" level kit.

What are pros & cons of an upper-strut level spacer vs an under-the-strut spacer other than cost?
Under is easier and that’s about it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Basically. You can go bigger with an upper strut spacer. I wouldn't feel safe going over a 2" lift with a lower strut spacer. But that's my opinion.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through this entire thread and have enjoyed some of the mods. I just went out and ordered a center console replacement cover. Looked really hard at the LED headlight thread. May keep looking at that. Don't really want to delete AFM as I see those fuel economy averages posted and look at my truck getting close to 20 mpg (on the onboard computer) for each fillup. I'm driving mostly longer drives here in East TN (near Knoxville) because I chose a place away from the masses. I40 here is nice most of the time with speeds running to about 80. I tend to run about 77 because... okay I don't have a real reason. I've noticed that a bunch of short trips kills the average.

I don't have a need to upgrade exhaust or a lot of other things as I'm about to turn over 200k miles.

I was enjoying reading about inspection problems in NOVA. I grew up in Vienna and had lots of dealings with those. Back when they were special I had a '91 BMW M5 that came without any kind of front tag mount. I kept the tag under the rear floor mats and for inspections just taped it on with double sided tape. I forgot to hang it on there one time and the inspector stood looking at it for a minute then said he had to look at the taillights (again). I took the cue and got my tape and tag on. :) passed.

I built a '72 MGB with many mods and bigger carbs. I could almost light the exhaust with a match. After asking around some I got a recommendation near where I was working. Took it there and the inspector looked a little concerned. Then he laid the sniffer wand on the floor below my exhaust pipe and hit calibrate on his machine. Then he put the probe in the exhaust and I passed with flying colors. ;-)

There is no inspection here and I kind of miss it. They caught some things I missed and wanted fixed a couple of times but more importantly kept the rednecks and crazy headlight schemes in check. Driving around here I get blinded regularly by oncoming headlights. I hate it. Also you never know when the guy behind you doesn't actually have working brakes. Walking through a Walmart parking lot you can see plenty of corded tires still being run.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through this entire thread and have enjoyed some of the mods. I just went out and ordered a center console replacement cover. Looked really hard at the LED headlight thread. May keep looking at that. Don't really want to delete AFM as I see those fuel economy averages posted and look at my truck getting close to 20 mpg (on the onboard computer) for each fillup. I'm driving mostly longer drives here in East TN (near Knoxville) because I chose a place away from the masses. I40 here is nice most of the time with speeds running to about 80. I tend to run about 77 because... okay I don't have a real reason. I've noticed that a bunch of short trips kills the average.

I don't have a need to upgrade exhaust or a lot of other things as I'm about to turn over 200k miles.

I was enjoying reading about inspection problems in NOVA. I grew up in Vienna and had lots of dealings with those. Back when they were special I had a '91 BMW M5 that came without any kind of front tag mount. I kept the tag under the rear floor mats and for inspections just taped it on with double sided tape. I forgot to hang it on there one time and the inspector stood looking at it for a minute then said he had to look at the taillights (again). I took the cue and got my tape and tag on. :) passed.

I built a '72 MGB with many mods and bigger carbs. I could almost light the exhaust with a match. After asking around some I got a recommendation near where I was working. Took it there and the inspector looked a little concerned. Then he laid the sniffer wand on the floor below my exhaust pipe and hit calibrate on his machine. Then he put the probe in the exhaust and I passed with flying colors. ;-)

There is no inspection here and I kind of miss it. They caught some things I missed and wanted fixed a couple of times but more importantly kept the rednecks and crazy headlight schemes in check. Driving around here I get blinded regularly by oncoming headlights. I hate it. Also you never know when the guy behind you doesn't actually have working brakes. Walking through a Walmart parking lot you can see plenty of corded tires still being run.

Thanks for chiming-in.

I believe in regular safety inspections, and you site several reasons why they are a good idea!

14rcsbOH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a plan [emoji106]

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you were setting this thing up to sell it. Or are you gonna mod it 'til the day you sign the title?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you were setting this thing up to sell it. Or are you gonna mod it 'til the day you sign the title?

Who the hell knows. Lol
Every time I drive wifey's new ride I think it's soon time to trade up.....but then again it's great having no car payment and having fun customizing an old truck that also carries just about anything and anybody with comfort & ease. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu