My Resto-Mod Odyssey - '08 Tahoe LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the ol' girl to a spa day Friday, having her power steering, trans, front & rear differentials and transfer case fluids exchanged for new. That oughta help keep her performing well for a good while.

Tahoe is very comfortable to drive and ride in, and I love all the features. Only 155k miles, so not panicking about making a move anytime real soon. But, fact is, I'm actually thinking of moving up in size to a Suburban. Tahoe is a good size for many things, but after driving her a few years I admit that it's kind of a shame to have a full size truck but still can't store much behind the third row. And that long body look has definitely grown on me---looks better than the short wheel base. It won't be like I'm giving up a lot in fuel economy, and a Suburban will even fit in my garage, so I'm leaning that way...

I guess the funny thing is, I'm gonna be an empty-nester soon and I'll probably look like a nut in my neighbors' eyes if I come rolling home in a Suburban at this point. lol

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the ol' girl to a spa day Friday, having her power steering, trans, front & rear differentials and transfer case fluids exchanged for new. That oughta help keep her performing well for a good while.

Tahoe is very comfortable to drive and ride in, and I love all the features. Only 155k miles, so not panicking about making a move anytime real soon. But, fact is, I'm actually thinking of moving up in size to a Suburban. Tahoe is a good size for many things, but after driving her a few years I admit that it's kind of a shame to have a full size truck but still can't store much behind the third row. And that long body look has definitely grown on me---looks better than the short wheel base. It won't be like I'm giving up a lot in fuel economy, and a Suburban will even fit in my garage, so I'm leaning that way...

I guess the funny thing is, I'm gonna be an empty-nester soon and I'll probably look like a nut in my neighbors' eyes if I come rolling home in a Suburban at this point. lol
what you're saying in this post is exactly why we love our burb. We gotta have that storage behind the 3rd row. We wouldn't have it any other way for the vehicle my wife drives daily and the one we take on vacations.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get that Suburban. Who cares what the neighbor thinks. Renters next to me thought I had a detailing business. Lol.

The long body rides very nice. It just kind of floats over the bumps. The extra room is noticeable and always appreciated.

Anybody with or without kids I’m sure would echo any of the above posted comments.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I'm actually thinking of moving up in size to a Suburban. Tahoe is a good size for many things, but after driving her a few years I admit that it's kind of a shame to have a full size truck but still can't store much behind the third row. And that long body look has definitely grown on me---looks better than the short wheel base. It won't be like I'm giving up a lot in fuel economy, and a Suburban will even fit in my garage, so I'm leaning that way...

A few months ago I went on GasBuddy and recorded the average mpgs of all Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, Yukon XLs and Avalanches with the 5.3 motor in the GMT900 body style.

The average fuel economy for all models and all years was 14.38 mpg. The short wheelbase trucks average 14.51 mpg and the regular 14.28 mpg. Hardly noticeable. I love the space, coming from 3 Pontiac Montanas I didn't lose any interior space save for the 3rd row and gained a V8, 4x4, a much more capable and versatile and FUN vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you're saying in this post is exactly why we love our burb. We gotta have that storage behind the 3rd row. We wouldn't have it any other way for the vehicle my wife drives daily and the one we take on vacations.

And I’m guessing that the straight rear passenger doors of the LWB, versus the SWB’s clipped ones, make ingress and egress easier for those in the back, which doesn’t hurt.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I’m guessing that the straight rear passenger doors of the LWB, versus the SWB’s clipped ones, make ingress and egress easier for those in the back, which doesn’t hurt.

Yes for the kids or the oldies.

My kids are nimble enough to negotiate the wheel hump in the Tahoe, but the full door entry on the Suburban makes it a straight shot in and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14