My Resto-Mod Odyssey - '08 Tahoe LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news. The exhaust note our rigs make is important to those of us who like what a V-8 sounds like. It's one of those things that are personal.

Definitely.

This simple muffler change, with a fairly mild but noticeable exhaust note, has completely changed the feel of this rig. Sounds and feels like a powerful but refined motorboat......if that makes sense. Lol

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said. I'm dead-set on this muffler or the cheaper knock-off of it if I can find that brand and model number again.

Get the knock off. I'm 18 months into mine and it sounds the same with no rust. Got mine for $31 from amazon (warehouse deal).

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the knock off. I'm 18 months into mine and it sounds the same with no rust. Got mine for $31 from amazon (warehouse deal).

What's rust?

I'll keep an eye out in the Warehouse Deals, but I'm not expecting to have such luck and pay normal price when I'm at that point.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news. The exhaust note our rigs make is important to those of us who like what a V-8 sounds like. It's one of those things that are personal.

My mother in law's comment about my long tubes and stock exhaust was concern that my Yukon must be broken in some way.

...And one of the reasons why we flip off the liberal pu55ies by disabling/deleting AFM. 'Murica.

There are hypocritical liberals like me with loud exhaust and no cats ;)

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mother in law's comment about my long tubes and stock exhaust was concern that my Yukon must be broken in some way.

There are hypocritical liberals like me with loud exhaust and no cats ;)

How are you passing emissions testing in NoVA??

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you passing emissions testing in NoVA??

"So I've heard" VA doesnt do a sniffer test. They pull obd2 codes only. If someone perhaps has HPTuners, they might just tune their truck to report all is ok with their cats.

I heard a guy named tgui possibly knew a guy that had a highly modded STi with a single high flow cat and tuned out the same set of checks. It passed for 7 years.

It costs about $100 from HPTuners to let someone else use someone's setup if ever they needed help.

Pure conjecture of course.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"So I've heard" VA doesnt do a sniffer test. They pull obd2 codes only. If someone perhaps has HPTuners, they might just tune their truck to report all is ok with their cats.

I heard a guy named tgui possibly knew a guy that had a highly modded STi with a single high flow cat and tuned out the same set of checks. It passed for 7 years.

It costs about $100 from HPTuners to let someone else use someone's setup if ever they needed help.

Pure conjecture of course.

Purely hypothetical, of course.....and simply amazing. :)

Yeah, VA hasn’t done sniffer testing in, what, 25 years?

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's rust?

I'll keep an eye out in the Warehouse Deals, but I'm not expecting to have such luck and pay normal price when I'm at that point.

Being that it's a Chinese "stainless" knockoff, I was skeptical that it would actually resist corrosion. So far, so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9