My other vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you have way too many irons in the fire right now with the house and children too!

I never knew them to be weak. The 10 and 9 second cars would use girdles but the street cars did not back then. Those 350s and 400s (yours a Buick?) are especially stout. Our LS engines look like race engines comparatively, we made over 500 horses with some of our turbo 6s with the stock blocks and cranks, never broke one. 2 bolt mains!
It’s the smallest of the Buick big blocks, from a 69 GS. I think people say 500 is about max without a girdle. Stock pistons and rod bolts are also weak. By the time you do pistons, rods, cam, etc you’re in it a few grand.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not rust free but it’s not bad considering it’s previous history. Spent time in Alaska, overseas, Oklahoma then went to auction where a friend of a friend bought it. The passenger rocker is mostly gone on the back side and the drivers rear wheel well corner needs replacing. I just got patch panels for it, just need to make room in the garage for it. Also have a full weatherstrip kit and crossover steering to put on. After that it’s pretty much done. I’d like a 4l80 and I still have plans of adapting some 2500hd brakes on it front and rear. Dana 60 front calipers are such a terrible design.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the smallest of the Buick big blocks, from a 69 GS. I think people say 500 is about max without a girdle. Stock pistons and rod bolts are also weak. By the time you do pistons, rods, cam, etc you’re in it a few grand.

Well, you're probably right, I've been out of that game for a long long time. Those '68s and '69s had a certain look of class about them, inside and out. One of my uncles had one with the 400, he loved it.

Is that a 6BT 12-valve Cummins I see in there?

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Yes. Has 100 over injectors and I have fabbed up most of the compound setup. Using a 4L80e and np205 behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s some $$$$

I keep going back and forth on doing head gaskets/head studs on my 6.2 and turn up the boost a little to get more hp/be slightly more reliable or just ditch it and throw a 5.3 in it.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
It’s not rust free but it’s not bad considering it’s previous history. Spent time in Alaska, overseas, Oklahoma then went to auction where a friend of a friend bought it. The passenger rocker is mostly gone on the back side and the drivers rear wheel well corner needs replacing. I just got patch panels for it, just need to make room in the garage for it. Also have a full weatherstrip kit and crossover steering to put on. After that it’s pretty much done. I’d like a 4l80 and I still have plans of adapting some 2500hd brakes on it front and rear. Dana 60 front calipers are such a terrible design.

Nice. Sounds like you have a solid plan for it. Makes me want to get back at mine. My frame is completely boxed in, every hole is filled. I have the 60/14, crossover steering and a PSC steering box that’s tapped for hydraulic assist. I’ve already done so much rust repair and panel replacement but it seems the more I dug into it the more work I had to do. I hate body work, that’s why it’s sitting unfortunately. I really need a pole barn for all my projects and parts. Soon I hope. House is going on market this coming February and I’m finding a house with property and pole barn, then it’s back to the K5.

a8b3766d6edf644a06c2b37c666fcdbb.jpg

Also had a 91 that I sold 2 years ago. Just too many vehicles.

13d2df61acf56b24b6817863b092f742.jpg

It was my plow truck and about this time of year I’m kicking myself that I sold it knowing I gonna have to shovel and use snowblower.

7b57af8a178b2908c45681f24de05250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts