My hydroboost conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got everything bolted up today. Just adding fluids and bleeding the brakes and power steering and I should be driving tomorrow night.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its all done.
I had to get some re manufactured calipers after the bleeder valve broke off one of them. It was completely seized. So that added another $50. In the end with fluids and all im in just under $300.
It is a BIG improvement and the pedal feels great! If you can do it for $300 like i did, doing the work yourself and using salvaged parts it is for sure worth it!
If your paying $2k or whatever the price may be to have a shop do it with all new parts its probably not... unless you really really love your truck.

If there is anything to update i will let you guys know.

One last thought, for anyone considering converting your drums to disc or putting bigger calipers and rotors on the front i think your going about it wrong. With this conversion you get to the point of abs kicking in as fast as i can imagine you would ever want to. These brakes are compairable to my dads 2015 gmc sierra slt so what more could you want?

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its all done.
I had to get some re manufactured calipers after the bleeder valve broke off one of them. It was completely seized. So that added another $50. In the end with fluids and all im in just under $300.
It is a BIG improvement and the pedal feels great! If you can do it for $300 like i did, doing the work yourself and using salvaged parts it is for sure worth it!
If your paying $2k or whatever the price may be to have a shop do it with all new parts its probably not... unless you really really love your truck.

If there is anything to update i will let you guys know.

One last thought, for anyone considering converting your drums to disc or putting bigger calipers and rotors on the front i think your going about it wrong. With this conversion you get to the point of abs kicking in as fast as i can imagine you would ever want to. These brakes are compairable to my dads 2015 gmc sierra slt so what more could you want?

I have to say I disagree. I did this swap with the gmt800 booster and upgraded front rotors and rear disk conversion. I am sure your truck stops better than it did, but mine stops like a BMW. Drums have their limitations especially with fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say I disagree. I did this swap with the gmt800 booster and upgraded front rotors and rear disk conversion. I am sure your truck stops better than it did, but mine stops like a BMW. Drums have their limitations especially with fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You swapped the booster too though. thats really what i meant. Some sort of booster upgrade is key

iCajun

Reaction score
Congratulations on doing your upgrade yourself. I did mine about a year ago, spent many hours under the dash, got most parts from a junkyard one-ton pickup. Did you replace the brake pedal? I don’t know how important it is but the vacuum/hydro pedals have different geometry. Thanks, Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons