My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I never asked, but obviously you’ve done this type of work before. Where’d you get your experience in construction?
During high school and early college, as a side job, I worked with a good friend in his uncle's home building company. We started off just doing the manual labor crap - cleanup, moving supplies, unloading trucks. Eventually we started working with some of the carpenters. I did learn framing and such during that time. Hell, that was back in the time we used framing hammers and nails. For this project I used pneumatic framing and finishing guns. What a time saver. As far as plumbing and electrical - pretty much self taught. Books, magazines and the internet.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the wet bar early Saturday about an hour before the carpet people arrived. Went with a very high quality padding and a very good quality berber (both great for basements). Quite happy with the job. Now furniture and video /audio equipment in the future. But first back to my engine build.
View attachment 401035
View attachment 401036View attachment 401037View attachment 401038View attachment 401039
Really, really impressive (and fast) work. Thanks for sharing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you - As far as the quickness, seemed longer. Taking time off from work opens up the day/early evening. Back to work tomorrow, I need to retire. I enjoyed that time off immensely.
Being retired definitely makes it easier time-wise for me. Now I work on stuff at my leisure instead of trying to do it after work and on weekends like I did 15 years ago when I bought my current house which was a fixer-upper. But getting up in age has its drawbacks. My back is my biggest issue. As far as most work, it’s no problem but working on stuff close to the ground gets to me. Like you, I am self-taught in construction- I learned mostly from a couple books and I did remodeling projects for my family when I was young. I turned that into a couple jobs in the industry throughout my life. I too started when I framed with a hammer, my grandpa and me did some stuff when I was a teenager and I remember it was a lot harder. I bought my own air guns as soon as I found out about them. You really did get that done quickly, and did a great job too. Congrats.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I continue to put money away to complete my build, I stll need to keep my baby running. Driving back from work Thursday evening, I heard a scraping/high freq wine on the driver side rear wheel. So on Friday, I jacked up the rear and pulled the tire. Took the caliper off and discovered the brake hardware failed and slid towards the disk. Caught it early so no damage to the disk. However, the hardware needed to be replaced and since I needed to do that I replaced the brake pads. Since I had it jacked up, I decided to pull the disk and adjust my parking brake (finally). Wow, I forgot how hard it was to get those two 18mm bolts out. And since I was that much into it, I ended flushing the brake fluid with my home made brake bleeder. Started with the passenger side back wheel, drivers side back wheel, passenger side front wheel and finally driver side front wheel. 3 quarts of new brake fluid and all the old nasty brake fluid has been replaced. I love how my little projects blossom into more work. Next weekend I will be replacing the front brake pads - which I noticed were getting close to their end of life.

I also pulled most of the old power steering fluid out and added fresh fluid. This appears to have fixed my power steering problem. It was the easiest thing to to do to troubleshoot my high freq vibe I developed when turning my wheel left and right. I will keep a close watch on this issue.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little venting: My daughter's vehicle had a passenger side airbag controller recall issued a bit ago and since the local Chevrolet dealership is much closer to me, we swapped vehicles so I could get this recall completed. Called them up three weeks ago and set up an appointment the following week (I did ask and they said they had the part in stock). Showed up and they check the vehicle in, asked if I was going to wait for it (I did not - to busy to sit around in a dealership). Was called 6 hours later and told they no longer had the part (it was put on another vehicle) and I needed to schedule another appointment. Obviously, I was not happy and asked how that could happen and why wasn't the part held for my vehicle's VIN like I was told would happen. Told it was their mistake and would not happen again. They had another control module arriving in a week so I verified the part was in and scheduled the appointment for yesterday. Now for the real frustrating piece - checked the vehicle in at 0745 and again I just dropped it off, told it would take 60-90 minutes and would be completed in the morning. Lunchtime came, no phone call so I called them and was told that my team lead was in the shop but would call me when she got back to the front. To hours came and went with no phone calls, so I called again. Was told by my team lead that she would go back and check the status - I thought that she was already doing that two hours ago. Well 2 hours pass before I was able to call again, because you got it, no phone call from them. It's now 4:00 and I can't get through to a warm body. Go online and found a different number - I get through right away to my team lead and she told she was about to call me to tell me that it would not be done today. Wow, now I'm really not happy. She stated they were down two experienced service techs and another on vacation. She was very clear that she does not prioritize the work that gets accomplished in the shop. So my assumption is there is a shop manager and they got behind and prioritized the work for the day and although I had an appointment it wasn't a priority. I asked her, what if I stayed and waited for the vehicle, would I have been there all day. She stated "No, if I stayed it would have been coded different and it would have been completed". So still not happy but not something I can change at this point, end of day and all. I was asked if I want to leave the vehicle or pick it up and drop it off in the morning. I asked will it get serviced or will it get prioritized out of the work schedule. She said she would ensure it gets done. But I said, you just told me you don't prioritize the work in the shop. She said she would ensure the head service manager prioritizes my car. So then I asked to speak with this service manager. How convenient - she left for the day. We'll see if it gets completed today. But I will be calling said Service Manager.

Update: Talked to the Service Manager, very apologetic, said it should never have happened and said they were already working on it. Picked it up at 1030. I received two free synthetic oil changes for my troubles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to my oldest daughter (she has three little girls) last night and she just got an estimate to fix her A/C in her Mercury Mariner. The estimate was just short of $1500 with caveats (crazy). Obviously, she would like to have A/C this summer. My son-in-law is a great young man but does not have the skills (yet) or the tools to complete this repair. I told her I would get it working for her. She scheduled some time to bring the car and our grandbabies on the 25th. She was told the condenser was leaking, so I just ordered the condenser, dryer/accumulator, expansion valve and seal/o-ring kit from RockAuto. Obviously, I will conduct my own troubleshooting, but I will have the parts on hand so we can get it done quickly and then I can spend time with our granddaughters.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was talking to my oldest daughter (she has three little girls) last night and she just got an estimate to fix her A/C in her Mercury Mariner. The estimate was just short of $1500 with caveats (crazy). Obviously, she would like to have A/C this summer. My son-in-law is a great young man but does not have the skills (yet) or the tools to complete this repair. I told her I would get it working for her. She scheduled some time to bring the car and our grandbabies on the 25th. She was told the condenser was leaking, so I just ordered the condenser, dryer/accumulator, expansion valve and seal/o-ring kit from RockAuto. Obviously, I will conduct my own troubleshooting, but I will have the parts on hand so we can get it done quickly and then I can spend time with our granddaughters.
That'll be a win/win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518